Thread: Deer meat

Deer meat

One of the wifes friends husband gave us a deer that he carried to the processor hamburger , tenderloin is what he asked for.i should pick it up next week. Well the wife dosnt like the gammie taste of deer but took it anyway and is now wanting me to get another one for roast and steaks LOL
    My question is whats some good recipes to cover any gammie taste or whats the best way to cook deer meat?? She had some roast last year and couldn't even tell it was deer she said it was cooked in a brown gravy.
    would a brine help any?
    I personally hope the deer she is getting is a young doe, the guy that shot it has been hunting all his life so i dont think he would do us wrong LOL

2. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Crock pot for roasts. Tenderloin grilled to medium at most. We add pork sausage to the ground venison for burgers. Canning the venison is also a good way to store it vs a freezer.

3. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Soaking in a brine will help a lot.

4. Member
    Thanks guys im looking forward to trying some new recipes,

5. Member
    Try equal parts Coke, ketchup and Italian dressing for a marinade. Most that do not want to eat deer will enjoy this.

6. Member
    Just cook her some cow meat

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

7. Member
    Brining is probably the easiest, or cook with bacon draped on it.
    One of the reasons I stopped hunting. Nice soft tasty cow or pig is easier, costs less than a hunting trip and I don't have to process it. I refused to pay MORE to have someone else process it and the wife said she would not help process any more big critters.
    I can 'hunt' (hike) for fun without the added weight of hunting gear and go home without having HOURS of work ahead of me, pick up a couple steaks, and save money!

Funny story:
    The last deer we processed I was cutting up the tenderloins and backstraps and handing them off where she was wrapping. I noticed she was writing her name on all of them. I asked and she said "These are mine. You can have the rest of it." Nice. That's my baby!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    Just cook her some cow meat
    Deer was free processing it $65 we can save alot of money with the deer meat in her eyes LOL we do go through alot of hamburger meat a week.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edziu23 View Post
    Try equal parts Coke, ketchup and Italian dressing for a marinade. Most that do not want to eat deer will enjoy this.
    Thanks i will try that do you put it a crock pot?

shoulder roast, onion soup mix and a can of beer.
    Shoulder roast - wrap in tinfoil, onion, peppers and onion soup mix. My kids will eat this and they are picky as heck.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    Thanks i will try that do you put it a crock pot?
    You can, I usually do a quick sear on the griddle then put it in a crock on low while getting other things ready.

12. Member
    1) coat your deer steak in flour, fry in butter with some chopped onions added in. Can add a simple gravy made with Cream of Mushroom soup or tomato soup thinned with milk and serve over rice. We do one of those variations a lot.
    2) Ground venison tacos are about the best thing ever.
    3) You can use ground or tenderloin and make some killer jerky in the oven or a smoker.
    The key with deer meat I've found is never reheat in the microwave. Really seems to bring out a gamey taste. O

13. Member
    swiss steak roasting bag use apple juice instead of all water in mix that is supplied with bag (at least 50/50) and follow rest of directions works best with steaks

14. Member
    I've had good results with Dales marinade. I usually cut up everything into small chunks to remove all connective tissue, except the back straps, then wrap in bacon marinade in Dales and grill till bacon is done.
    '06 Procraft 205 Pro Mercury 225 Optimax

15. Member
    Got the little deer last night i have a package of chuck steak and a package of tenderloin thawing out going to do something tonight or tomorrow with them and see how it goes. Thanks for all the input

16. Member
    well did a couple of things laid out some tenderloin and ground soaked them both in buttermilk for almost 2 hrs took the ground after strained it and fried it up i put a little slap yo mama seasoning in it and when almost done added sweet baby rays took a muffin tin and spread out can biscuits in each one then filled with ground mixture topped with cheese and baked until biscuits where done, grilled the tenderloin with just salt and pepper the kids and wife ate every bit of it. It didn't have no game taste at all

17. Member
    3/4 part Alegro Marinade and 1/4 Dale's. Cooked to rare for backstrap or tenderloin for me.