Thread: Lowrance hds

Lowrance hds

Its winter, can I play with he's the 2 with power in the house without transducer , will it hurt the unit

2. Member
    its fine.
    Chad Snow / Massachusetts
    2007 Ranger Reata 210 - Mercury Optimax 225 (#1B446134) - 12' Talons
    Carbon12’s @ Bow w/ AT- live 12 w/ 3D & live 7 @ Helm

3. Member
    If you want to be 100% safe, on the sonar page, select Stop Sonar, this turns the transmission to the transducer off.

4. Member
    No, won't hurt the unit. I use mine all the time indoors for hours at a time; never any harm. This is the biggest reason I no longer flush mount my units.
    ciao,
    Marc

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
    Its winter, can I play with he's the 2 with power in the house without transducer , will it hurt the unit
    Which HDS do you have?

6. Member
    If you use them inside and connect them to a battery make sure the battery is on the floor. Its a grounding thing.

7. Member
    I have read it on the Garmin site, that using a 500W or so sonar out of the water, it won't hurt the ducer. However, when we talking about stronger transducer like 1 kW or above, that is a different ballgame. Water is acting like a coolant. However, just to be safe, use it in simulation mode. (Humminbird recommends that.)

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracker50 View Post
    I have read it on the Garmin site, that using a 500W or so sonar out of the water, it won't hurt the ducer. However, when we talking about stronger transducer like 1 kW or above, that is a different ballgame. Water is acting like a coolant. However, just to be safe, use it in simulation mode. (Humminbird recommends that.)
    You do NOT want to run any CHIRP transducer out of water, regardless of power.

Thats according to Airmar, who makes them. I quote from the Tm150m (300W) owners guide:

CAUTION: TM150M Chirp transducer—Always operate the transducer in water. Operating in air will allow the transducer to overheat resulting in failure.

In any case, I doubt very much if the OP will be taking the transducer out of his boat to connect it up to the head unit while he is testing it inside the house.... LOL!

9. Member

10. Member
    Transducers come with different designs depending on usage. A transducer buildt for use under water (as in transducers for mounting on the transom) depend on cooling from the surrounding water.

Using such transducers in dry for more then a few minutes is not something I would recommend. When your sonar starts up, it will try to get a bottom lock, but when the transducer is in air that will not happen. As a result your sonar ramps up the power, trying to get a solid return, and end up using the maximum power the transducer allows. This causes wear on the transducer, thus shortening the total lifespan. Some transducers (like Airmars more powerful ones) will be damaged due to overheating.

While on the subject...
    When connecting or disconnecting a transducer, the unit itself should be turned of or otherways but in a state where it does not transmit power to the transducer. If not, you run the risk of a short-curcuit which can damage both the transducer and the sonar itself.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Which HDS do you have?
    Gen 2 ,,7 in, non touch