Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbless View Post
    My boss says if "I can do without ya for 4+ weeks a year I can do without ya for 52".
    That is a boss I would pretty quickly arrange for to prove that to himself.

2. Member
    When I retired I was getting six weeks paid vacation per year with 37 years of service. We were able to accrue as many weeks as we could. I had managed to build up seven weeks of unused vacation over the years. They cut me a real nice check for the unused vacation when I pulled the pin. I had quite a bit of unused sick time built up also but that didn't get paid out at the end like vacation.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

My boss says if "I can do without ya for 4+ weeks a year I can do without ya for 52".

With that attitude, I'd give him that opportunity. A company that doesn't take care of its workers is not a good company to work for.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bass Junkie View Post
    With that attitude, I'd give him that opportunity. A company that doesn't take care of its workers is not a good company to work for.
    Exactly. I currently work for a place like that. They wonder why all their good employees leave and they are stuck with lazy unskilled workers. As soon as I find something different I’m gone.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Some impressive amounts of vacation time. So much for the belief that European workers get more time off than do American workers but maybe they still get more holidays. 15 days per year for me plus 5 days PTO and 11 paid holidays. I think that is pretty good, have never used it all.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    That is a boss I would pretty quickly arrange for to prove that to himself.
    True that....

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Some impressive amounts of vacation time. So much for the belief that European workers get more time off than do American workers but maybe they still get more holidays. 15 days per year for me plus 5 days PTO and 11 paid holidays. I think that is pretty good, have never used it all.
    If im not mistake on average most European workers get more PTO. Some I think have minimums for everyone working to get 30+ days guaranteed.

I worked for a European bank 20 years ago, I received 3 weeks of vacation time when I was hired and it started immediately, no wait to accrue. After 5 years I had 5 weeks of vacation time and also unlimited sick time I could take (had to have a doctor's note to use as sick time).
    Later I went to a US Bank and received 2 weeks upon being hired. We were allowed to "purchase" an extra week by deducting a small amount every pay period to be used to pay for the extra week. At the end of 5 years I had 4 weeks of vacation time, plus the extra week I purchased, plus unlimited sick time (time was monitored for abuse however), along with a flex schedule which allowed me to work any 40 hours I wanted each week. I used to try to work 3 12 hour shifts and a 4 hour shift to have loooong weekends every week. THAT, was one of the best perks I've ever had!

In my current position, (no longer working for a bank), I get 4 weeks of "PTO" which renews each year on my work anniversary date, and I'm allowed to carry over only 3 days to the following year... no additional paid sick time etc. the PTO time is used for any and all paid time off.

My dad was a union machinist for 30+ years and never took a sick day. He was also allowed to accrue his vacation time without any limits and he only took off a few days per year. He was able to take "vacation time/sick time" for over a year before his retirement date, allowing him to actually retire over a year early! I would love a setup like that...

Only 5 fulls days off for last 3 years in a row. No weekends or holidays off period.

I get 5 weeks of vacation (200hrs) and 40hrs of personal time, but I've been at the same employer for 25yrs
    Dawnpatrol.
    Goin Fishing be home for Hunting Season !!!!!!!!!

12. Member
    Based off of years with the company, for me personally, i get 28 days. We can carry over as much as you want, but stop accruing additional time once you hit the max, which would be 42 days for me. I currently have 181 hours accrued, and if i do not take any more for the rest of the year, i will start 2020 with 216 hours!

13. Goby King
    15 days.
    5 whenever I want to schedule.
    5 mandatory between Christmas and New Year's
    5 spring/fall only.

No carryover.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    How many vacation hours do you get a year and how many do you have accrued? I get 176 hours per year and I have 178 hours accrued.
    I get 160 a year, no carry over.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Sounds like a real peach to work for. Failure to appreciate good employees will eventually cause issues. He's liable to end up being his only employee.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Exactly. I currently work for a place like that. They wonder why all their good employees leave and they are stuck with lazy unskilled workers. As soon as I find something different I’m gone.
    I just left a company for the above reason. No one appreciated what I did or, for that matter, how I did it. Left them w/ only one week notice. I only had two weeks vacation & 40 hrs of sick days.

New company I have three weeks plus a "unofficial" 14 days of sick/dr/kids time off.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

17. Member
    6 weeks after 25 years and carried over 6 more weeks.

I get 8 hrs a pay period (every 2 weeks). I have 174 hrs in the bank now. I am not allowed to cary over more than 240 hrs after Jan. I also get 4 hrs of sick a pay period. I currently have 580 in the bank.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

19. Member
    I get 21 days. Can carry 42 days, anything over 42 days is use or lose my March 31

20. Member
    I earn208 hours of vacation or 5+ weeks each year (this doesn’t include sick leave orholidays) and I can carry over 240 hours each year. I ALWAYS carry over at least 200hrs of vacationtime.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast