2017 175 ProXS Smoking?

New to me boat and motor had it less than a year, when I purchased the motor had 55 hours and the gentleman was running premium plus, I noticed some soot on my prop and a little more smoking than I thought should be so per instructions I ran the oil low and filled tank up with optimax oil, this weekend was the 3rd or 4th time out with that, ran to the first spot and fished and when I went to leave started the motor and got a ton of smoke but it was running fine? is this normal?
    SN#2B230678
    Last edited by kindlel; 11-12-2019 at 12:55 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info with your post. Thanks!

By a "ton of smoke"- do you mean folks along the shoreline are reaching for their phones to call the fire department, and you're choking on the smoke... or just "more than you expected"?

If the earlier... HOW FULL is the remote oil tank?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    sorry sir, edited the above post to include SN.
    I guess I would describe it as more than expected. It only happened at startup that one time. It does however smoke a little more than expected even when running, id say the oil tank is now between half and 3/4 full

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Main thing I was checking is that you did not over-fill the oil tank (remote tank should not exceed 80% fluid capacity).

More than likely this is STEAM that you are seeing, and not actually smoke. Atmospheric conditions can cause this to appear more, or less (especially on the 2.5L Optimax models).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

What Don said. My 175 Pro XS steams like crazy with the right atmospheric conditions. Had me very concerned at first.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

6. Member
    glad to hear this! Thank you guys very much

7. Member
    My 175 steams in 80 degree weather LoL
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

8. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    What Don said. My 175 Pro XS steams like crazy with the right atmospheric conditions. Had me very concerned at first.
    Me too!

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

9. Member
    Here's a pic of mine Saturday after a 20min run in 40° air temperature. Same thing you see from your car or truck in cooler temperatures when warm moist air hits cold air - condensation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax