200 Optimax shut off while running

Serial No. OT512297 on a 2002 Ranger.

On Sunday I had been fishing all day, the boat was running perfect. In the afternoon, I was making a run and opened it up a bit. I had it up to +/- 5400RPMs and the motor shut down. No beep or anything. When the boat came to a stop I put it back in neutral, fired the Merc back up and took off like nothing was wrong. It ran fine the rest of the day. I have the level 1 MercMonitor and always keep an eye on temps and water pressure when running. When the motor shut off, the gauge cut off too which makes me think it might be something electrical? There was nothing flashing on the MercMonitor after restarting. Searched on here but didn't come up with much. An ideas what this could be? Would there be a fault code triggered if there was no beep?

Thanks in advance!
    2002 Ranger 195 VS - Mercury Optimax 200

2. Member
    Check cannon plug connections.
    Check the Main Power Relay.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^^ +1

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor