Thread: Merc 225

Merc 225

Looking at upgrading boat. The new 225 4s is coming with it. I has heard nothing but great, but I have heard gas consumption is up from the 2s.

Is it negligible or really noticeable? I know you ain’t running DFI anymore so that is a plus. Had the merc 115 4s on one of past boats but I know a 115hp is way different then the new 225’s.

thanks.
    2018 Phoenix 919, Mercury 225 Pro XS
    2016 Triton 179TrX, Mercury 115 4s
    1995 Bass Tracker 175Pro, 40hp Force
    1985 Bass Tracker 1800 Johnson 150 (I called it the lead sled)

2. Member
    Came from a 60 hp merc 4 stroke. Love the 225.

Listen, no one upgrades to this level of hp to save fuel. Just study the power and mpg curves and enjoy the machinery. I don’t cruise very often past 45-55 anyway. And it’s at that point the efficiency drops off.

I get it and I agree. I just saw a few articles stating consumption is up. I was thinking, is it really that much that we would care! I have heard about all the other great stuff. Torque, hole shot, etc

Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerRT178 View Post
    Came from a 60 hp merc 4 stroke. Love the 225.

Listen, no one upgrades to this level of hp to save fuel. Just study the power and mpg curves and enjoy the machinery. I don’t cruise very often past 45-55 anyway. And it’s at that point the efficiency drops off.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    On the fuel consumption- at lot depends on WHAT you're comparing it to. There were DFI/ProXS models, and Verado Pro models. In general, at WOT these will fall between those two engines in terms of consumption.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Can't say for certain yet (more testing needed).. and not apples to apples..
    So far the new 250R is getting better than my 300XS. Best thing is saving an average of 80 cents per gallon of fuel (91 octane to 87) not to mention premium plus oil at $30.00 a gal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnute View Post
    I get it and I agree. I just saw a few articles stating consumption is up. I was thinking, is it really that much that we would care! I have heard about all the other great stuff. Torque, hole shot, etc
    So, I came from a 150 Optimax and yeah, I definitely use more gas! ;) The consensus seems to be what Don confirmed above. More that Optimax ProXS. But, I can't see it being significant especially when compared to the total cost of ownership of a boat in this category.

I do fondly recall the good ole days with 60 4s where I'd put gas in it once or twice a summer.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    So, I came from a 150 Optimax and yeah, I definitely use more gas! ;) The consensus seems to be what Don confirmed above. More that Optimax ProXS. But, I can't see it being significant especially when compared to the total cost of ownership of a boat in this category.

I do fondly recall the good ole days with 60 4s where I'd put gas in it once or twice a summer.
    I fondly recall that as well. It's just coupled with the not so fond memory of redline operation every time I was on the water. I too am at the gas station much more often but it is worth the trade off IMO and its not even close. Hope these V-8's have good long term reliability.

Thanks....looks like I will be keeping my current ride. Nothing that was said. Just did not make sense at the moment...