Thread: Shakey Head

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Shakey Head

Simple question about what shakey heads y'all use... I have very little confidence in them but plan to toy around with the technique this coming year. I'd like to hear what types you use... Manufacturer & sizes... any input would be MUCH appreciated!

I'm not very picky on manufacturers, but am very picky about the style I use. I avoid screw-lock style heads like the plague as I've just missed and lost way too many fish on them. Instead, I like the type with the bait keeper on the barb of the hook where you rig your bait like you would when Texas rigging on a straight shank hook.

The VMC dominator is an example of this style:

My working theory is that a screw-lock eats up your hook gap and bite while also creating a "bridge" between the head / hook-eye and hook point that you have to get some part of the fish's mouth in between to have a successful hookup. The other even bigger issue is that the screw-lock positions the bait much more in line with the hook point such that the point wants to travel "along" the bait (think parallel) when you set the hook instead of "out" of the bait at more of a perpendicular angle. No bueno. The worst of these are the ones that use an EWG hook where the point is angled back toward the head even further. The tradeoff is that the non-screw-lock style hang up more (for precisely the same reason they tend to "hang up" on the inside of a fish's mouth more) and will make you go through more baits. That is a tradeoff I'm willing to make in exchange for not missing and losing a bunch of fish.

I also tend to look for a thinner wire hook unless I'm throwing it on heavier line or casting gear. Thin wire hooks just penetrate better and, as a result, seem to stay put better on spinning gear for me.

I'm sure there are some screw-lock styles that have alleviated these issues at least somewhat, just not something I've spend a lot of time experimenting with. As always, just my opinion....lots of guys have success with the screw-lock style, but my intuition combined with my experience with them won't let me fish them any more.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Dogfish_Jones
    I use the Mega Strike brand and love them. They stay upright and have strong hooks.
    https://www.megastrike.com/shakey

4. Member
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Buck...page-BSRP.html

These are my favorite. I personally like the screw in head a lot more than the peg style. Have not used one with the bait keeper.

I find myself moving more towards the open hook with a weedguard such as the Picasso heads. I fish very snaggy lakes and they tend to not get hung up as less, and you don't get the hook point poking through the bait as you do with T-rig type shakyheads after every bite or snag.

6. Member
    Owner screw loc 3/16 oz. 4/0 is my choice but use whatever works for you.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'm not very picky on manufacturers, but am very picky about the style I use. I avoid screw-lock style heads like the plague as I've just missed and lost way too many fish on them. Instead, I like the type with the bait keeper on the barb of the hook where you rig your bait like you would when Texas rigging on a straight shank hook.
    I fall into this same way of thinking as well. After trying about 30 brands of shakeyheads over the years, I have given up on the screw-lock type after losing too many fish, and not connecting on too many bites. The straight shanks like what DrewFlu33 is talking about have a much better hookup ratio in my experience. I fish a shakeyhead a lot. On certain lakes, this is my "go-to".

The best hook-up ratio I've had so far has been with this one (it also keeps your worm very straight):

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gama...age-GSGSH.html

If I'm using a worm that's larger than a trick worm, then I'll go with something like this:
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Trok...age-TKSHB.html

8. Banned
    I only use the screw lock ones, never had hook up issues. I Tex-pos the worm really no different than rigging any other bait. The screw lock does not make you loose fish in any shape or form. You cannot rig the bait the same way with the two different heads. It your hook isn’t getting exposure you made a mistake rigging the bait.

I use either Spot Remover screw heads or Spot Sticker football heads. Never had any hook up issues with screw type heads. I use Zoom Finesse, or Trick worms. Also, Zoom Swamp crawler or Roboworms work well.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    The Bite Me shakey heads do a great job and are a little cheaper on average.

11. Member
    I guess I’m pretty fresh to shaky head fishing but I’m using the Owner screw lock for the most part. Like I say, I’m a novice but I haven’t had any issues of lost fish. They’re a straight shank hook and the bait stays put even in grass. I can see Drew’s theory of how they could make the bait roll on hook set.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

12. Member
    I prefer Crock-o-Gator for most of my shakey head fishing but also use the VMC some try a few and see what you like the main reason i use the Crock-O-Gators os the position of the line tie.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

13. Member
    I'm in the screw lock crowd. It all I've been using and had great success...but to each their own! I've been using the Omega Shakey football heads for a few years now and they have been great. It has a EWG Gamakatsu hook on it also.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Omeg...age-OSFBH.html
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

14. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KWH View Post
    The Bite Me shakey heads do a great job and are a little cheaper on average.
    I have a couple of lakes that I fish every year, 90% shakey head, and have had excellent performance from the Bite Me jigs. I like that the hook is a little shorter on those, compared to some shakey heads. Don’t seem to hang up as much, and I haven’t noticed any reduction in fish landing.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

15. Banned
    no screw locks for me.
    Big Bite Baits limit gett'er is the current choice #1.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I use the Mega Strike brand and love them. They stay upright and have strong hooks.
    https://www.megastrike.com/shakey
    Same here I love the Pro Series Shak-E2 Head, never had any trouble with hookups on their screwlock heads and they actually will stand the bait up where so many other brands don't. Primarily using the 3/16oz with Zoom Trickworm

A Shakeyhead is what I do most, and I like the screw lock best, but the wire keeper DrewFlu33 showed also works fine. I like the Owners real well, but have used VMC, Casey Ashley and probably half a dozen others. The only one that did not work for me was the Jewel Jeff Kreit Squirrel Head jighead. I think the hook deflects too much. I started out fishing it on 10 lb FC line on a baitcaster (7' Med), got another rod (7'MH) and then changed to 12 lb P-Line CXX instead of the FC I was using. No real difference in number of bites, but a little more reliable, IMO.

It's important to have a head style good for weeds and another that is good for rocks. A football doesn't go through weeds worth a darn, and a round head gets hung up a lot more in rock. I fish a 5" Zoom lizard a lot with excellent results, but have been using some medium size craws lately. My next TW order will include a couple of different baits for Shakyheads. The V&M Swamp Hog Jr. is one of them. The Zoom Trick Worm and other floating worms will work. I fish a little smaller baits, hoping to catch Smallmouth. While I have caught 11" SM on a Trick Worm, a 6" Zoom lizard and a 5" Senko, I get bit a heck of a lot more with a smaller bait...call it a medium sized bait. Try a BPS "River Bug" or similar beaver tail thing. It's very much like fishing a T-rig, so don't get overly concerned about it being something new.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

18. Member
    Frenzy nail head is only one i use now. some elaztech worms are almost impossible to use with a screw lock

19. Member
    Buckeye here also

20. Member
    Depends on the use for me. If I'm throwing on a baitcaster the crock o gator is awesome. Long shank flipping hook and you can boat flip them on 20 lb line. For a spinning outfit I like the SK tour grade heads in 3/16 or 1/4 oz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast