Thread: 520L or Lynx

520L or Lynx

I have had 5 new Rangers to include my current Z520C. I may switch to a Bass Cat Lynx for a change. Any feedback from Ranger owners that switched from Ranger to Bass Cat or from Bass Cat to Ranger with respect to quality, ride, and fishing stability. If I go Ranger it would be Z520L. Thank you

2. Banned
    Can't go wrong either way. Basscat one of the best. I have 521 and like it. Speed not my objective at my age. Love the way the Ranger fishes.

3. Member
    what a dilemma to have!!! bass cat gets my vote but ranger is an awesome second choice
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Can’t go wrong either way. I selected Ranger because it seemed substantially roomier and it was much more stable at rest (which is needed on Lake of the Ozarks). But those are just “form factor” things. BCB makes a great boat.
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

5. Member
    I've had two Cats and I'm on my third Ranger. Cat puts soooooooo much into the details. It really comes down to which one makes you smile. You can contact Cat and see if they have someone in your area that will do a demo ride. Since you're familiar with the 520 getting in the Lynx should help you decide which is best for you.

I was a Marshall in 2018 for Brandon Card who is running the Lynx. I really disliked the passenger hold on the left side and I felt like I was so uncomfortably deep in this boat. Also, the console is not molded in and while running had his line get pinched at the space between the gunnel and the console and had to retie on 2 occasions. I really was looking forward to loving this boat but was really disappointed.
    If you are looking for another option, I was out in a 2019 21 foot Triton with the new Mercury 4 stroke and was blown away with its fit, finish, ride, speed, creature comforts. If I was getting away from a Ranger, this particular Triton might be worth a look!

FLORIDA BOAT: 2016 Ranger 519, Mercury 225 Pro XS, Atlas 6" hydraulic jack plate, Motor Guide Tour Pro, Humminbird Helix 12SI Mega chirp on console, Helix 12SI up front, dual 8' power poles, livewell pumpout

LET US NOT LOSE SIGHT OF HOW FORTUNATE WE ARE TO ENJOY FISHING AND THE OUTDOORS! CATCHING JUST MAKES IT A BIT SWEETER!

7. Member
    I’ve ran bass cats for years and just got in a new 521L. I love my ranger but miss some things about the cat. Cats are just fun to drive. They handle exceptionally well, lift, and have a great rough water ride. The fit and finish is top notch also. I just wasn’t a fan of the layout of the lynx which is why I bought a ranger this go around. Can’t go wrong with either, but if you like the lynx layout, I’d give it the nod.

8. Banned
    I was in a tournament blast off last year running side by side with a Lynx I was slightly faster in my 520l with a G2...what really alarmed me was how all over the place that Lynx was in the cross wakes to the point where eventually the driver gave it up...this happened both days as order were reversed. Of course it could be the driver but that angler has owned many boats...

9. Member
    I've been milling this decision as well for my 2021 boat, and so far the 520l is in the lead. Just can't like the layout of the basscat, and the ranger is a bit more stable.

Not that I’m bias to ranger but a good friend of mine has had 15 bass cats and got a lynx for 2019. He hates it. Can’t get it to ride good at all. I was in it for 3 days. Seems ok to me the thing I don’t like is how big the step down to the floor is. There is a cooler that acts as a step but it’s pretty small and I could see that being a hazard. He is gonna go back to a Puma for 20.
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke