Carbon fiber grips

I have a couple rods that need new handles....can you slide on the carbon grips like you would a winn grip from the butt end of the rod?

2. Member
    You can, you might need to shim it by the reel seat a little bit. I've built 1 rod with a carbon fiber grip...looks great but I don't like the feel personally. Still prefer cork myself.

Late reply here, but agree that you can. As willwork mentions you may need to shim it depending on how much taper the blank has from the butt (some of the more modern tapers seem to be very straight at the butt for quite a while, so maybe you'll get lucky there). Also be very careful to blow out all the "dust" from reaming...the foam used there can be abrasive and scratch a blank which could be unsightly if you're doing a split grip or something. I am the opposite as willwork regarding the way they feel - I absolute love them. They transmit vibrations very well and the feel is still very grippy when it's wet or slimy, and very lightweight to boot. My only complaint is that they can get a *little* hot in the summer out in the sun. Nowhere near as hot as metal will get in the sun, but hotter than EVA or cork.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

thanks to both of you for your great reply, ive put winn grips on in the past.....but they dont hold up real well with much use...

Check out the new grips NFC is putting out. Easy to regrip a rod using them and they look pretty cool. We got some samples in last week and they are pretty awesome.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Check out the new grips NFC is putting out. Easy to regrip a rod using them and they look pretty cool. We got some samples in last week and they are pretty awesome.

Do you have a link for NFC grips?

7. Member

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Assuming they're super lightweight based on my reading about them. Not sure how to ask this next question the best way...how well do they transmit vibration? How sensitive do you think they would be? As I mentioned above, I love the carbon fiber grip and light weight, but the "foam" that they're made around being so solid I think makes them a lot more sensitive than cork, foam, or Winn Grips (which I'm pretty sure just use EVA). Or are they just hollow like other carbon fiber tubes with no internal "foam" at all, the main difference being that they're grippy?

Multiple ways of getting at the same thing. Hopefully that was coherent...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 41bass View Post
    thanks