Ideas... Cross threaded Gas Cap

Any recommendations to alleviate a difficult gas cap that I fear may be cross threaded? It is the flat stainless steel Perko cap that screws into plastic on the boat. Anyone ever replaced the entire cap and receiver on the boat side?
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

2. Member
    Does it have 2 holes in the top of the gas cap? The holes are for a wrench incase the cap gets over tightened.

3. Banned
    Replacing the entire fill cap housing isn't hard to do. There is only three screws, and the tank fill hose is just held on with a clamp/s . If your cap is like mine, there are two small Phillips head screws on the inside of the cap that hold on the plastic threaded piece. You could take off the piece and try to clean/chase the cap threads with a small triangle file.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    Replacing the entire fill cap housing isn't hard to do. There is only three screws, and the tank fill hose is just held on with a clamp/s . If your cap is like mine, there are two small Phillips head screws on the inside of the cap that hold on the plastic threaded piece. You could take off the piece and try to clean/chase the cap threads with a small triangle file.
    Very interesting. I figured it would be a bigger deal than that. I will have to look into it if I cannot get the threads cleaned up.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

5. Member
    Depending on where the cap is located you may have to be a contortionist to get to it, I had to do this on the Charger I had and it turned out to be a job, mainly to get the hose clamps loosened on the filler hose so I could pull the cap assembly out and then same issue putting it back together. No slack in the hose!
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

6. Member
    Take the hose loose at the tank. Remove flange screws from the outer flange. Pull up on the flange and the clamp will then be accessible as you pull the hose thru the cap. Loosen clamp and remove old flange and repeat in reverse order