Freezing damage?

I'll admit I F'ed up and I'm wondering if I will pay for it. Unexpectedly had to pull my Ranger RT188 from the marina late afternoon and parked it beside the garage in the dark. Did not think to raise and lower the trim of the Mercury Optimax 115 to drain water out. Overnight temps got down to about 27 degrees and then warmed up to 40's the next day. When I remembered to go trim the motor down-up-down some water drained out, and I've left it in the down position. Found a bottle of water in a storage compartment partially frozen.

Question: If that overnight of freezing temp did some damage, how would I know before using the boat again? I'll be taking it to the shop that winterizes and stores it for me any day now.

2. Member
    Unless you had water in your lower unit I doubt it hurt the engine. If you have not drained the speedometer tube it may have toasted your speedometer.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Unless you had water in your lower unit I doubt it hurt the engine. If you have not drained the speedometer tube it may have toasted your speedometer.
    I never had an issue with a speedo, but damaged a couple water pressure gauges when they froze.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    You should be fine. Like stated, could have damaged a water sensor or speedo but I would expect no issues with the motor.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

More than likely fine thats getting pretty cold tho cold enough for a hard freeze. Thats about the coldest it gets here. The engine is hnder the cowl so that helps insulate it. Speedometer is another gauge and line to keep an eye on with the pitot tube. I popped a water psi gauge in 30 degree temps u covered the boat and the gauge was pegged wide open. Whoops that was the end if that.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.