Trim not working at 4 different locations

I have a 1989 Stratos 201 with a Johnson GT 200. Went out last week to the lake, boat did fine but did notice that the Trim gauge on the dash wasn't working. Went to lake today and gauge still not working but boat did fine until loading it on trailer. I loaded it on trailer and while at the bow hooking it up, I reached over to the bow Trim switch and it would not work. I climbed back into boat and tried the Trim on the steering wheel, didn't work. I tried the Trim on the throttle and it didn't work. Finally, I tried the trim switch on the side of the outboard and it wouldn't work either.
    I could definitely use any advice anyone might have for fixing this issue. I'm not sure if there's a fuse somewhere or not. In my old boat I had a solenoid go bad on my Mercury and it was simple repair. This, I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Member
    Sounds like trim relay solenoid has gone bad. There are 2 of them, one is for trim up and the other is trim down. You can switch them and see if it will trim up.

3. Member
    It’s probably the trim module(solenoid) on the motor. It’s under the cover on the side of the motor. Or a bad ground wire. Or a trim motor. All of your switches didn’t fail simultaneously, so that is ruled out. I’d put my money on the module.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

4. Member
    It won't trim up or down, so I may be getting 2 new solenoids and try that first.
    Thanks guys for the help

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If it won’t trim up or down, from any switch, my guess is that the trim unit itself is locked up or shorted out. Might be time to get professional diagnosis.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Can you feel or hear the relay or relays click when you press the trim button? If so, that is the relay coil energizing and the switch part of the circuit is working and indicates either, burned contacts on the relay or a problem with the motor.
    My next move would be to remove the 2 wires going to the trim motor (blue and green) and connect jumper wires from the battery to these wires. If you place the black (ground) jumper on the green wire and momentarily touch the red (positive) jumper to the blue wire, the trim motor should come on and raise the trim cylinder. Reversing the 2 jumper leads will trim down. This tells you if the motor is ok.
    If the relays are clicking and the motor works with a jumper, the relay contacts are probably burned.
    If either or both relays are not clicking, There is a failure in the control circuit that you have to track it down with a test light.
    This link should be the correct or very closely represent the wiring on your motor.
    https://maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/TnT_87_UP.jpg
    These are the tools I most frequently use for trouble shooting the trim circuit.

Hint:
    I modified the end of my test light cord so it can attach directly to the negative post of my battery and won’t pull loose when I pull on the coiled slack.
    By attaching directly to the negative battery terminal, you eliminate the negative wiring circuit and insure a good ground circuit.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 11-11-2019 at 07:01 AM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Check all the fuses 1st
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

8. Member
    Usually both relays will not go bad at the same time. As mentioned above, unplug the green and blue wires going to the trim motor. Using jumper leads, feed hot to one and ground the other. You can ground by touching the block in a bare spot and get hot at the solenoid service leg. Doing this should make the trim motor run. If it doesn't, then trim motor either needs replacing or rebuilt. This is what I'm thinking is wrong due to wear and age. We can get that trim motor for you if needed.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    Thanks guys for all the detail help. I'll see what I find out.

10. Member
    I looked for a fuse and could not locate one. Where would it be located? I also heard of someone who had a similar issue and they had wire get kinked in the gear shifter and eventually go pinched so bad it tore in half.
    Last edited by ebeagles; 11-11-2019 at 12:45 PM.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If the motor starts the fuse is good, it is in an inline fuse holder next to the starter, 20 AMP AGC about 3/8" long.

My buddy did have both relays blow at once. So there is nope to a cheeper repair
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

The fact that it was working intermittently makes me think relay/solenoid, but as said above it would be strange if both went at once unless they got wet or something. How many wires come out of the trim motor? If two, you've got a relay system, three it's solenoids.

I thought initially you were going to say that the only switch that worked was on the motor and I was ready with an answer...mine does that when I kick the main breaker off. Not the same thing here though it doesn't sound like.

All else equal, I'd be tracing wires from the trim motor and checking for a bad ground. I'm guessing something has vibrated loose there.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

14. Member
    Found the inline fuse and it was good; I'll be digging into it a little further this weekend.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeagles View Post
    Found the inline fuse and it was good; I'll be digging into it a little further this weekend.
    Since the fuse was good, start with the trim motor. As said earlier, unplug the blue and green wires (bullet connections) coming from the trim motor. Feed hot to one, ground the other to the engine block and the trim motor should run. If it doesn't you found the problem. If it does, follow the wires.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    Well after checking fuses and following Jonestrollingmotor's suggestion above, it appears my trim motor is toast. It's the original motor of 1989, so I now start the search for a new trim motor to replace the original. If anyone knows where I need to check for a trim motor replacement, I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys for all your help and assistance.
    Last edited by ebeagles; 11-16-2019 at 07:59 PM.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Here and get the ARCO http://www.marineengine.com/parts/jo...aulic+Assembly

They can be a bit tricky to do with the motor on the boat, the third bolt can be a PITA to access.

Suggest you call John Jones.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

19. Member
    Boy are you not kidding.....2 screws very easy to reach, but the 3rd one forced me to have to disconnect the plunger cylinder of the trim unit to get it. Got the new on and new fluid and she's working fine. Thanks for everyone's help.