TPS Linkage Question

1999 200 Opti (ser. #0G886121):

Thinking I may have an issue with my TPS sensor(s), and was looking at the linkage today. When the motor is at idle, or just put in forward gear, should the TPS lever be in the fully retracted position (lever all the way back)? All my throttle and gear shift linkage appear to be adjusted correctly, but I noticed that to get the linkage arm hooked from the TPS lever to the throttle arm, I have to move the TPS lever toward the throttle arm some which doesn't allow the TPS lever to be fully retracted when no throttle is be applied. Is this correct? My linkage arm is not adjustable. I was thinking that it should be fully retracted when no throttle is being applied, and the would move forward as throttle is applied (reaching the fully extended position at wide open throttle)???

2. Member
    Your right the TPS linkage is not adjustable, so the only thing you can do is adjust the throttle.

3. Member
    So when the boat is in neutral, should the TPS lever be in the fully retracted position? Mine is probably a 1/4" or so from the fully retracted position when my linkage to the throttle is installed (in neutral). Just trying to understand if that's normal??? Thanks.

4. Member
    Read the sticky on throttle adjustment.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    TPI will not be at it's mechanical limit at idle. This is not adjustable, and the PCM is designed to "Auto-Adapt" to the idle position at each key-up or start.

This is why it is SO CRITICAL that the throttle return to the idle stop, and that throttle NEVER be applied while attempting to start.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor