Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Obviously water freezes at 32 degrees. But as always it's not that simple. A cup of water outside for 2 hours at 32F isn't going to freeze. That same cup of water at -5 for will probably freeze pretty quickly.

The question is, at what temperature should we start being concerned for water in LU to freeze and start doing damage? I ask this because last night it got down to 30 degrees. Day time temperature Saturday was 54, high of 63 today. The boat was in a non-insulated enclosed storage space. Most of the water was drained out, but there was maybe less than a cup left when I checked this morning. I'm not too concerned because it should've been at least a few degrees warmer in the storage space, and I don't think it was cold long enough. But interested to see what you guys say.
    The way I read this you ask at what temp you should be concerned about water freezing in LU.

2. Member
    Freezing droplets of water won't do anything. What you care about is a significant volume of water in an enclosed space, since water expands as it freezes and something has to give. If you store it vertically, you are not going to have a problem. Even if you have a little water trapped in the block, it has plenty of room to expand when it freezes...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12