Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

anyone come from cat to phoenix

Just curious on your thoughts does the phoenix ride softer?

2. Member
    Absolutely from my experience.

3. Member
    Well Iv'e had 2 bass cats a 99 jag and an 06 puma and both were great boats! The puma was a fun boat to drive with handled great and also had great speed.
    I just bought a 2017 phoenix phx 921 with a yamaha 250 sho and this is hands down the best boat I have ever fished out of! The front deck is massive with great storage and very stable on the trolling motor. The ride is second to none and for a big 21.5 foot stable boat it still runs 74 by myself!!! Live wells are awesome as well. You won't be sorry if you switch. It still fishes very shallow as well.

Having been in both, I will say the rides are very similar and comes down to driver ability. Both are very good. The hole shot goes to the Phoenix for sure. Quality of parts goes to Basscat IMO.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Had an 08 puma and now a 2018 920. I will say I chine walk more in the Phoenix then my cat but I simply don’t have many lakes around here where I can run and work through the chine walk. Love the layout of my 920 over the cat but sure miss the basscat company and their trailers!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

6. Member
    Its so nice to ask a question and everone just give there thoughts no one bashing anything.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcbasser 52 View Post
    Well Iv'e had 2 bass cats a 99 jag and an 06 puma and both were great boats! The puma was a fun boat to drive with handled great and also had great speed.
    I just bought a 2017 phoenix phx 921 with a yamaha 250 sho and this is hands down the best boat I have ever fished out of! The front deck is massive with great storage and very stable on the trolling motor. The ride is second to none and for a big 21.5 foot stable boat it still runs 74 by myself!!! Live wells are awesome as well. You won't be sorry if you switch. It still fishes very shallow as well.
    I just made almost an identical move from an 05 Puma and agree 100%. Basscats are great boats but once you get behind the wheel of a Phoenix (especially with a 4 stroke) you’ll be glad you did. The 921 is an aircraft carrier but drives like a sports car.

8. Member
    I had a 13 cougarftd bought new.. went to a 18 920 same motor yamaha sho the cat is 3 mph faster. Phoenix definitely rides better and fishes better. I like the livewells better also. Both boats are well built the reason i left bass cat is bc they dont make a regular layout or normal conventional layout they over think things in my opinion. If basscat would come out with a normal 20 ft wide deck boat they would sell the shit of them. Every bass cat ive been or seen has to small of storage box opens or to long of rod lockers etc etc... Phoenix need to do away with plastic dash shrouds and put a flush mounted nav light in.

9. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyWhitson View Post
    I had a 13 cougarftd bought new.. went to a 18 920 same motor yamaha sho the cat is 3 mph faster. Phoenix definitely rides better and fishes better. I like the livewells better also. Both boats are well built the reason i left bass cat is bc they dont make a regular layout or normal conventional layout they over think things in my opinion. If basscat would come out with a normal 20 ft wide deck boat they would sell the shit of them. Every bass cat ive been or seen has to small of storage box opens or to long of rod lockers etc etc... Phoenix need to do away with plastic dash shrouds and put a flush mounted nav light in.
    You know I think it is pretty split down the middle as far as liking or not liking the poly shroud. I personally like having the ability to upgrade to an new style. I replaced my old shroud with a dual dash shroud and love it. if it were all fiberglass I would not have that option. Now if they made the shroud a removable fiberglass piece just like the poly shroud so it was replaceable and you could change styles when you upgrade your electronics, I would love that. I do agree the fiberglass looks much better.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSkeeter77 View Post
    You know I think it is pretty split down the middle as far as liking or not liking the poly shroud. I personally like having the ability to upgrade to an new style. I replaced my old shroud with a dual dash shroud and love it. if it were all fiberglass I would not have that option. Now if they made the shroud a removable fiberglass piece just like the poly shroud so it was replaceable and you could change styles when you upgrade your electronics, I would love that. I do agree the fiberglass looks much better.
    to many issues with the plastic shrouds
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Both boats are well built the reason i left bass cat is bc they dont make a regular layout or normal conventional layout they over think things in my opinion. If basscat would come out with a normal 20 ft wide deck boat they would sell the shit of them. Every bass cat ive been or seen has to small of storage box opens or to long of rod lockers etc etc...
    x100
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

put a flush mounted nav light in.
    this is probably my only complaint about my boat
    721 ​ProXp

13. Member
    I'm kinda in the same situation you are in! Absolutely love everything about my cat except the front deck and looking at phoenix! Just wish the back deck was smaller on the 920 elite with a longer front deck

They do much of it for balance but I agree, the rear deck is massive for the 920. The 920 is also only 4" longer than my Z519 but the Ranger is wider all the way and even at the cleats. I am not gaining much up front, can't use all that rear deck but the ride may be worth the trade.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

I will add to my original post above that both are really good, capable boats and are extremely close in performance. It comes down to personal desires. I like the layout and especially TM pedal position on a Basscat. I also despise the plastic around the edges of the console and other panels. I blame Nitro for making me that way. The layout of Phoenix is very traditional so it appeals to many. In the end, both boats are great and were the only two serious companies that I looked at when searching for my current boat...and I went with a Basscat.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbassman View Post
    I'm kinda in the same situation you are in! Absolutely love everything about my cat except the front deck and looking at phoenix! Just wish the back deck was smaller on the 920 elite with a longer front deck
    a Phoenix with the deck layout of a gambler would be nice. The gamblers never gave much consideration to the guy in the back.

17. Member
    I've had 2 Cats and 2 Phoenix's. The Phoenix will out ride the Bass Cat in every way. Handling, smooth ride in rough water, when you turn sharp in a Phoenix on plane. The back end holds, no hopping or sliding. When you hit a big wave in a Cat you will have a hard landing. Not in a Phoenix, soft landing. Deck layouts are a big difference. To me Phoenix is way better. I give the quality to Bass Cat all day. However when it comes to fishing it goes to Phoenix.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upscat View Post
    I've had 2 Cats and 2 Phoenix's. The Phoenix will out ride the Bass Cat in every way. Handling, smooth ride in rough water, when you turn sharp in a Phoenix on plane. The back end holds, no hopping or sliding. When you hit a big wave in a Cat you will have a hard landing. Not in a Phoenix, soft landing. Deck layouts are a big difference. To me Phoenix is way better. I give the quality to Bass Cat all day. However when it comes to fishing it goes to Phoenix.
    What year and models did you own? There has been tweaks made to the hulls over the years, and no one mentioned coming from a Lynx to a Phoenix for a comparative ride?
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

19. Member
    Just came out of a 2015 Puma FTD 6 months ago and into a 2019 920 w/ Merc 4s. I absolutely love it. Like others have said the ride definitely goes to Phoenix. As far as people saying Cat quality is better, I'm not really sure on that. The finish on this Phoenix is better than my Cat was in my opinion. Also I love the fact that I can have more than 6-7 rods on one side of front deck without stepping on them and watching where I put the TM down on them. Phoenix is not fancy by any means but the ride and simplicity make it a very practical and great fishing boat. The hole shot and cornering also definitely go to Phoenix. I had two Rangers, then Puma and now 920 and this is probably the boat I've liked the most yet. Fun to drive, great layout, awesome ride and great fishing platform.

20. Member
    You are splitting hairs with these 2 companies in my opinion BassCat and Phoenix are the top 2 mass produced bass boats. I would own either and be happy. In my opinion ride goes to Phoenix, speed slight edge to BassCat. Trailers BassCat all the way. Layout if you like traditional go Phoenix if you dont mind weird shapes that do make sense go BassCat. Front deck size on all models goes to Phoenix although the Caracal, Linx and Jag are big. Materials used BassCat.. No cheap plastics. Customer service I have no experience with Phoenix but my buddy does and says Phoenix is top notch, I know BassCat is amazing.
    Last edited by BassCatBrad; 11-20-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    Brad Krone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast