Question Echomap Plus vs Echomap UHD Features

I have a simple question. I am looking at an Echomap Plus 93sv.
    I know the Echomap Plus UHD units are coming out and have better resolution.
    I don't care if I can count the leaves on a sunken tree. I fish in clear highland reservoirs with little cover.
    I use my graphs looking at contours and occasionally find some brush piles and fish them.
    With my present graphs (Humminbird Helix) I can see the fish and bait good enough. They aren't high def either.
    I only fun fish, no tournaments.
    So my question is, are there any extra features on the UHD units other than the better images.
    I can get a new Plus for about $225 less than the new UHD units.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    LK

2. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    You will see fish better only in shallow water and out to 60 feet with uhd.Other than that the gt52 or gt30is a lot better.
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 11-10-2019 at 02:33 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    You will see fish better only in shallow water and out to 60 feet
    Thank you sir. I fish Bull Shoals and Norfork and I don't think there is any shallow water !! :)

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Yes both of them are deep !

5. Member
    “Planned Obsolescence” should be a consideration too. I think it’s safe to assume the non UHD plus is on its way to “legacy” status.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The resolution of the units is the same.....when the GCV20 came out i had it with my EC+ unit....the clear vu (down) was pretty good but the side left alot to be desired. So for me, i didnt care for it and sold the GCV20 setup and put the GT30 in its place......some people like it and others done.....like anything else, you would need to give it a try to see if it fits your needs.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    Could you explain a little more on this? I have both GT54 and GT52.

You will see fish better only in shallow water and out to 60 feet with uhd.Other than that the gt52 or gt30is a lot better.

8. Member
    According to the garmin website, the new UHD echomaps still have the same 400x800 screen resolution. The UHD I think refers to built-in compatability with the GT54 UHD transducer.

IMO, the GT54 is better than the GT52. However, I don't know that the 400x800 screen resolution is enough to reap the full benefit of UHD. Sounds like you fish deep. The 1120khz SideVu of the GT54 is not well suited for deep water. IMO, go with the plus unit and put the extra $ towards a GT50 transducer.

9. Member
    Thanks! I’ll very likely go to HB for SI.

Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    According to the garmin website, the new UHD echomaps still have the same 400x800 screen resolution. The UHD I think refers to built-in compatability with the GT54 UHD transducer.

IMO, the GT54 is better than the GT52. However, I don't know that the 400x800 screen resolution is enough to reap the full benefit of UHD. Sounds like you fish deep. The 1120khz SideVu of the GT54 is not well suited for deep water. IMO, go with the plus unit and put the extra $ towards a GT50 transducer.

10. Member
    Agree. Plus series will likely be replaced by UHD series.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBry View Post
    “Planned Obsolescence” should be a consideration too. I think it’s safe to assume the non UHD plus is on its way to “legacy” status.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffytilly View Post
    I know the Echomap Plus UHD units are coming out and have better resolution.
    LK
    well, you got it wrong. probably fooled by the "UHD" word of its name, this "UHD" does nothing to do with the unit resolution, it only means compatible with Garmin UHD transducer at high frequency 1.2MHZ like GT54, resolution is exactly same as plus 93sv unit which is 800*400. to me, the new Garmin Echomap UHD is just a chicken rib.
    Tangrine Orange Key 16604126S1

12. Member
    YES! The new Garmin Echomap UHD is just a chicken rib!!! White elephant!!!

Hope Garmin will upgrade the screens.

Quote Originally Posted by canon View Post
    well, you got it wrong. probably fooled by the "UHD" word of its name, this "UHD" does nothing to do with the unit resolution, it only means compatible with Garmin UHD transducer at high frequency 1.2MHZ like GT54, resolution is exactly same as plus 93sv unit which is 800*400. to me, the new Garmin Echomap UHD is just a chicken rib.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    YES! The new Garmin Echomap UHD is just a chicken rib!!! White elephant!!!

Hope Garmin will upgrade the screens.
    Since I bought new 7600 units not much has changed with their imaging. It's still "sub par" at best. At the bass classic last year I asked one of the garmin folks (not a pro staff) about it and he said the "powers that be" are more interested in pushing out new products than working on the old. Considering garmin's history since coming to the freshwater market I would say he is telling the truth.

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Get ready for another game changer in the garmin world.This is why they don’t want to improve on a old system.Scope is the future!

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    are more interested in pushing out new products than working on the old. .
    Incase you haven't read the other pages, they (other brands) all do the same. Nothing new.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

16. Banned
    Get ready for another game changer in the garmin world.This is why they don’t want to improve on a old system.Scope is the future!
    are they coming out with a livescope unit?