Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don. I emailed you for a quote.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

Don. I emailed you for a quote. 
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Responded to the Emails.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Sent u an email this afternoon Don.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'll get that answered as quickly as I can.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Regarding extended warranties, I have a question. The motor comes with a 3 year manufacturer's warranty, correct? Now, I just bought my 250 pro XS last week so I will have the manufacturer's warranty for the next three years....

If I buy an extended warranty now for say 5 years, aren't I only getting 2 years out of the extended warranty since the manufacturer's warranty covers me the first three of those 5 years? Would I be smarter to wait until the manufacturer's warranty is up THEN buy an extended warranty? Isn't that the only way I get a true 5 year extended warranty? Since the extended warranty for an outboard motor is not based on mileage (as a car extended warranty is) or hours on the motor, and is only based on years of ownership, it don't make sense to buy an extended warranty until the manufacturer's warranty has expired. I don't think I need warranty on top of warranty, or do I??

Am I missing something here??

7. Member
    Coverage takes effect upon expiration of factory warranty – no duplication of coverage

Rick

8. Member
    Email sent. Thanks

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickdb1 View Post
    Coverage takes effect upon expiration of factory warranty – no duplication of coverage
    Well then it makes sense. I didn't know that.

Thank you sir, for straightening me out!

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Regarding extended warranties, I have a question. The motor comes with a 3 year manufacturer's warranty, correct? Now, I just bought my 250 pro XS last week so I will have the manufacturer's warranty for the next three years....

If I buy an extended warranty now for say 5 years, aren't I only getting 2 years out of the extended warranty since the manufacturer's warranty covers me the first three of those 5 years? Would I be smarter to wait until the manufacturer's warranty is up THEN buy an extended warranty? Isn't that the only way I get a true 5 year extended warranty? Since the extended warranty for an outboard motor is not based on mileage (as a car extended warranty is) or hours on the motor, and is only based on years of ownership, it don't make sense to buy an extended warranty until the manufacturer's warranty has expired. I don't think I need warranty on top of warranty, or do I??

Am I missing something here??

First and most importantly- your engine has a 3 Year FACTORY WARRANTY. Anything after that date is a Product Protection Plan (a Service Contract). Don't confuse the two, and it's best to use the correct terminology as so many folks don't understand that "Warranty" is what the engine comes with from the Factory (only).

Product Protection Plans begin 1 second after the Factory Warranty expires.

Emailed you on a motorguide

12. Member
    Don certainly saved me some money. I repowered from a 150 efi to a 150 four stroke after the efi blew up once then had it rebuilt and 4 months after the rebuild it blew again. I bought an extra 5 yrs. so I have 8 yrs and thats been a little over a year ago. I'm 81 yrs old and likely will not be able to use it all up but it will be a selling point whenI no longer can fish.

13. Member
    Is the Product Protection Plan cheaper if you buy it soon after the new motor purchase, or can you wait until the factory warranty is about to expire and get the same price? When i bought my RT 178 new with a Merc 75 hp 4 stroke, Mercury would send letters in the mail for anextended warranty. The closer the motor got to the 3 year mark, the price would go up more.
    2020 Ranger RT 198p, Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

14. Member
    Don I just emailed you with a question on warranty and also with my motor serial number. I have a question I will ask here on the Forum, if I were to sell my boat, say in three years, is this extended service plan still valid for the new owner?

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraywheat View Post
    Is the Product Protection Plan cheaper if you buy it soon after the new motor purchase, or can you wait until the factory warranty is about to expire and get the same price? When i bought my RT 178 new with a Merc 75 hp 4 stroke, Mercury would send letters in the mail for anextended warranty. The closer the motor got to the 3 year mark, the price would go up more.
    The longer you wait, the more expensive it will be. There is an automatic surcharge at each anniversary of the engine's original sale date, plus any increases in the cost of coverage that Mercury might make.

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog
    Don I just emailed you with a question on warranty and also with my motor serial number. I have a question I will ask here on the Forum, if I were to sell my boat, say in three years, is this extended service plan still valid for the new owner?
    Absolutely. There is a nominal transfer fee for Product Protection Plans (and the plan must be transferred within 30 days of engine sale).

16. Member
    Hypothetically, if you buy a Product Protection Plan in year 1, your motor has a catastrophic event and requires and full replacement that's paid for under factory warranty what happens to the Product Protection Plan? Does it become null and void or transfer to the new motor?

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
    Hypothetically, if you buy a Product Protection Plan in year 1, your motor has a catastrophic event and requires and full replacement that's paid for under factory warranty what happens to the Product Protection Plan? Does it become null and void or transfer to the new motor?
    Replacement components (even a fully-dressed powerhead) assume the original engine's serial number and coverages applicable to that serial number.

If a replacement engine is required (rare, but not unheard of), the replacement engine assumes the same coverages as the original engine (Mercury transfers the coverage periods to the new engine).

18. Member
    PM sent

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ifish4coins View Post
    PM sent
    Responded to PM and Email. Thank you for recognizing that your BBC Profile Email address was outdated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12