Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MLF fish handling?

How is it the anglers get a two minute 'slime' penalty if a bass touches the boat or the angler's clothing but they can swing them in the boat and grab them like beer cans and no penalty?? I would think they would be required to grab the line first, then lip them to also protect the slime coat?

I heard one of the officials say "slime penalty", that's what made me ask.

Better yet why does B.A.S.S. say no nets because they remove slime

But its ok to hold the fish like a running back holds a football removing most of the slime

Funny how they got all uptight about puncher tags just as soon as TH marine became a sponsor

I agree the rules don’t make sense
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    Good point! Forgot about that one.

Removing the slime in any way is harmful to the fish. It is a protection against infections. The real reason they get away with it is MONEY. You're talking about a business now, the sport part is gone. I've almost to the point of not watching these 200 pound men with 30 pound plus braided line throw a 2 pound bass in the boat. Want to make it equal? Give all of them 8 pound mono, let them lip the fish from the side of the the boat (like most guys do) and see how "great" they are then. I don't agree with the rules either.

5. Member
    The fish would be better off if BASS allowed rubber nets . It is better for the health of the fish
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

6. Banned
    I'd like to see them go back to tackle weight limit. Weren't they restricted to like 10 lbs of tackle before?

7. Member
    NO NET. Thank Ray Scott who made that rule to improve the level of action for TV. Guess he never landed a 3-4 # SM on a top water with 3 trebles !!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    I'd like to see them go back to tackle weight limit. Weren't they restricted to like 10 lbs of tackle before?
    Like the first few classics only, Not regular tournaments.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    NO NET. Thank Ray Scott who made that rule to improve the level of action for TV. Guess he never landed a 3-4 # SM on a top water with 3 trebles !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What's even more dangerous than that is a 10 inch smallie with trebles lol. fish is going nuts , the hooks are going nuts, it's just a flat out scary mess

Like all other sports...money rules no matter what.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

11. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I found it interesting that for the recent Pan Am tournament on the St. Lawrence [Scott Martin, David Dudley, Jacob Wheeler, Mark Daniels, Brian Lattimer, etc. fished it], the Canadian government *required* the anglers to use a net to protect the slime coat.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

All of you know that damn near every fish they catch .... "It's a Giant" or "It's a Big One"

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Only in the very early Classics.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    No net allowed, but swinging them on the deck or floor is ok? That BASS rule never made sense either.
    I use a rubber net anytime I have crankbait/Jerbait fish hooked. May not be the safest for the fish, but it is for me.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

15. Member
    Disappointed to see two bass pros throw a bass from the front deck into an open livewell on their You Tube videos recently.

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalliehunter91 View Post
    What's even more dangerous than that is a 10 inch smallie with trebles lol. fish is going nuts , the hooks are going nuts, it's just a flat out scary mess
    your telling me , the smaller the smallie the more they freak when you get them in the boat, I boat flipped one, rod was loaded up when it hit the deck, jerkbait popped out rod unloaded and shot that XR8 into my forehead, just missed my eye. ( early morning no sunglasses). I was alone and fishing was good so cut off the treble kept fishing for 8 hours with the treble deep in my forhead. I t had it removed that evening at a walk in.. think that was a 100ish smallie day lol.. hence whyi didnt leave. All could have been avoided with a net.

Anyone see the guy hold a fish out of water longer than normal while he grabbed another rod and made a cast to keep a bait in the water since it wasn't a penalty? Kinda like stepping on them to hold them down when they come off on the deck when swung in. That should be a longer penalty.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    All could have been avoided with a net.
    Then why didn't you use a net???... Were you pretending to be an imaginary pro in an imaginary tournament???... Dan

19. Banned
    One rule on mlf I don't like is they can weigh anyfish even tho there's a 1 pound minimum. There should be a rule that if you weigh a fish that's under 1 pound it's a 2 minute penalty. That's gonna keep guy away from those 1 pound schools. You start taking 2 minute penalties every other fish, you gonna move on to find better quality fish. Just my opinion.

20. Member

why no net

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    No net allowed, but swinging them on the deck or floor is ok? That BASS rule never made sense either.
    I use a rubber net anytime I have crankbait/Jerbait fish hooked. May not be the safest for the fish, but it is for me.
    the no net rule stated when they had coagelers aqnd they had problems with the co-ageler knocking fish off

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast