Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    I pilot is only worth it if you like fishing.
    Link is pretty expensive. Not that many extra features to justify the price difference IMO.

Get a terrova. I've had both terrova and powerdrive. The better deploy mechanism is worth the price difference in itself.
    You dont think having follow the contour is worth the money? And that's the 2nd time I've heard the deploy is worth it.

2. Member
    My biggest argument when on the water is constantly fussing with the trolling motor. Looks like contour would eliminate a lot of that

3. Member
    I don’t have Humminbird units but if I did I would put my money in bigger graphs instead of the Link. The 7” units get small when you start splitting screens or using side scan. It will depend on your style of fishing.

4. Member
    Presta. I think you will have to decide which piece is more important to you initially. With the TM, it needs to be powerful enough for your boat. If it is not, it is not worth anything to you. Most models can be upgraded to ipilot or Link. Maybe start without rather than getting one too weak. The Helix 7 is fine for most. The 9 has a way better screen and might be worthwhile. The big part of your decision sounds like it is the price, keep in mind if either piece has to be replaced because it turns out to be less than you are happy with it will cost way more to replace them both. Take the time to go somewhere to look at the Helix units to be able to make the best decision for you. Good luck Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by presta24 View Post
    You dont think having follow the contour is worth the money? And that's the 2nd time I've heard the deploy is worth it.
    I don't troll much, so for me, its not worth the money. With I-pilot, you can record and rerun tracks. Don't remember how long, but it does work well.
    Also, in my experience, the contour lines for most lakes are not exact. If you're trying to stay tight to the bottom, you will still get hung up.

But, like I said... I don't troll much... I prefer to locate fish and cast or jig em up. Spot lock is where its at!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Presta. I think you will have to decide which piece is more important to you initially. With the TM, it needs to be powerful enough for your boat. If it is not, it is not worth anything to you. Most models can be upgraded to ipilot or Link. Maybe start without rather than getting one too weak. The Helix 7 is fine for most. The 9 has a way better screen and might be worthwhile. The big part of your decision sounds like it is the price, keep in mind if either piece has to be replaced because it turns out to be less than you are happy with it will cost way more to replace them both. Take the time to go somewhere to look at the Helix units to be able to make the best decision for you. Good luck Bob
    Good advice. I've got a teacher 170tx with s 50hp

7. Member
    You can probably get by with a 12v motor on your Tracker. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Ive spent the last 2 weeks researching this topic. For me, looks like 2349 is my price just for the TM. But i want the 80lb with link. You only need the 55lb. Right now the 80 doesn't come in a 45" without the pricey option of US2 aka universal sonar, or pricier MDI aka Mega Down Imaging.
    Following the contour has nothing to do with trolling to me. Since you can set the speed down to tenths of a1mph i think if you don't get up too much then it will work as a great tool. You can record 16 paths and 16 spotlocks without link. The paths can be 2 miles long, thank the Lord because that is exactly how far i always go before i get back on the big motor. That seems too few to me. my plan is to get 360 in the future. if i start finding brushpiles, I'm probably wanting to spotlock 100 easily. I also want to control the boat from the console while looking at the SI on the biggest screen i have.
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12