Loading a Puma on the trailer without it sliding back off the bow stop?

Several times when loading alone, all seems good until just about the time I get up to the bow to attach the winch and it slides back several inches. I've got so I just keep the engine running and in gear until I've got it winched up, then go back to shut off the engine, then back to the front again to get out.

I typically back the trailer in until the top of the back fender is at the water level with maybe 2-3 feet of the bunks out of the water. The only option I know to try is to not to back the trailer in as far, but it already takes a lot of power to drive it up to the bow as is.

Do I need to not back in as far, hammer it down to the limit with the engine trimmed even higher? I have been trimming the engine 3/4 trim.

If fairly steep ramp then you are doing it how I do it.

3. Member
    Obviously you aren't a newbie, so don't let me insult you, but with varying water levels, as we deal with here on TVA lakes, have you tried different placements of the trailer in the water, more or less in the water.

I typically note the trailer level when launching when the boat just begins to float from the trailer. Then when loading I normally stop the trailer a little shy of that point. I mainly launch on COE ramps with average slopes. When I load the boat the bow eye will stay up against the roller, until I shut off the motor, walk up to the bow, and get within a step from reaching the wench, and the boat will slide back a few inches. It does it for meanness.

5. Member
    It does sound like you are in too deep. If you pull out another 2', then the boat will solidly rest on the bunks up front and mostly all the way back. It really won't slide off unless the back is floating freely.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

If you have power poles - drop them.

7. Member
    Just the Tips of the Outside/short bunks out of the water. As in barely showing. This seems to work for me no matter the launch angle. Of course on a steeper launch you won't have to back in as far to achieve this and on a shallower launch you will have to back in further. I do not find the fenders to be a good judge. I've had 3 Cats. A 19 footer and 2 Eyras and this has worked for all of them.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

8. Member
    Your doing it exactly how i do it on very steep ramps.
    Most ramps, I do not need to leave the engine running and in gear. but if its steep and the boat wants to slide back, I leave it in gear and running.
    You can try and leave more bunk out the water, but on a steep ramp your really having to drive the boat up a lot of bunk. Sometimes it will leave you short.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

9. Member
    Seems like a lot of trim to me, my boat (tandem trailer) loads perfectly on most ramps if the water just touches the back of the metal on top of the fenders.

We would try to place the tips of the outside bunks just exposed through the water line. It sounds like your a tad deep if it’s floating off.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    Just the Tips of the Outside/short bunks out of the water. As in barely showing. This seems to work for me no matter the launch angle. Of course on a steeper launch you won't have to back in as far to achieve this and on a shallower launch you will have to back in further. I do not find the fenders to be a good judge. I've had 3 Cats. A 19 footer and 2 Eyras and this has worked for all of them.

every boat I have owned when I load it I leave the motor in gear just at an idle to walk to the front to hook it up.
    just how I have always done it and probably always will. really doesn't take any more time than not.
    as far as how deep the trailer is in the water, normally I have just about 1/3 of the fender out of the water when I stop. boat slides up easily. granted I have changed my Bunks to a composite material so it does load and unload easier. but the depth is always the same.