Comparison of 17' tins

Thinking about trading my Basscat for a tin (local lakes are all 25hp or idle only/trolling motor) and wanted a "trolling motor down" comparison.

Looking at the Lund 1775, Ranger RT178, or Crestliner vt17. All would have 25hp engine so speed isn't a concern. I'm looking for fishability. Rocking side to side, still able to take out on bigger water. I'd be fishing local team tournies out of it as well so livewell size.

I don't really have the ability to look at anything but the Ranger and it looks like a well built boat. Hoping someone on here can offer some insight on the 3 listed. The Crestliner is by far the lowest price with the Ranger and Lund pretty similar but still 2500-3000 more than the Crestliner.

Thanks

I can speak to the Crestliner in say it is an identical hull to the Ranger RT 178 other than the consoles and interior detail things. Personally bought my VT17 due to the center storage being opened up all the way under the deck so storage is plentiful. As far as rod locker I have 13 combos and room for more. The Crestliner’s are solid platforms for tournaments and have not had any issues out of mine. If you have further questions I’ll be happy to answer them.
    Garmin Stiker 7sv and 7cv
    2017 Crestliner VT17 - Mercury 60 4S

3. Member
    Choose the layout you prefer, they'll all perform similarly with the TM down. The Lund has a keel, so may track slightly better, but the layout is going to be more obvious than any performance differences.

Take a ride to Bedford sales at Morris,IL. It's about 1 1/2 hour drive from Peoria. They sell Lund, Ranger, & Vexus. You can look at them side by side for comparison.

5. Member
    They all look about the same per specs. I’d buy what your local dealer services.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    Take a ride to Bedford sales at Morris,IL. It's about 1 1/2 hour drive from Peoria. They sell Lund, Ranger, & Vexus. You can look at them side by side for comparison.
    I tried to find their current inventory online and the website doesn't seem to be very mobile friendly.

7. Member
    Lake Sara has some Alumacraft Pro 175's rigged with 25's That would fit your bill as well.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipIt2119 View Post
    Thinking about trading my Basscat for a tin (local lakes are all 25hp or idle only/trolling motor) and wanted a "trolling motor down" comparison.

Looking at the Lund 1775, Ranger RT178, or Crestliner vt17. All would have 25hp engine so speed isn't a concern. I'm looking for fishability. Rocking side to side, still able to take out on bigger water. I'd be fishing local team tournies out of it as well so livewell size.

I don't really have the ability to look at anything but the Ranger and it looks like a well built boat. Hoping someone on here can offer some insight on the 3 listed. The Crestliner is by far the lowest price with the Ranger and Lund pretty similar but still 2500-3000 more than the Crestliner.

Thanks
    Just a heads up that Crestliner no longer makes the VT series.

9. Member
    I went through the same thing a few years ago and any of those boats would work fine for you. It came down to a Crestliner 17 footer and a Ranger RT178 the Ranger was a little bit more money but they threw in a nice boat cover, 200.00 gift card and some smaller items that helped close the gap and they were the closer dealer. I have had the boat 3 years and trailered it about 4000 miles without any problems so the trailer seems solid. As far as fishing with the trolling motor down it fishes really good and the boat sits level and your not very high in the water. I get on plane around 17MPH and the ride is good and smooth for a aluminum boat sometimes if it rains hard I do get some water in the carpeted rod locker I think it soaks it up from the exterior carpet. I do like the console better than others and with 7 tubes in the locker 14 rods are no problem sometimes I cram a few more in there with sleeves on them. I have a 24 volt trolling motor and I think that is needed but you really need to check out your contenders in person to get the best deals and make sure you a comfortable in the seats.

10. Member
    I own an rt178 but if I was doing it over I would look hard at the xpress 17pro.

11. Member
    While shopping last year, I looked at and crawled around all three of those numerous times. I'm sure that there would be little if any difference in the three with the trolling motor down and actually fishing. With similar hull designs and the same motor, I'm sure they would all be very similar running on the water as well.

Sitting on the trailer is where I saw the differences in the three. Crestliner multi-species boats are very popular here in the midwest and are known as very good quality boats. However, I was disappointed with the Crestliner VT bass boat. My opinion was that many of the components were lacking in quality compared to the Ranger and Lund. I thought that the plastic console was very cheap in both appearance and feel. The carpet was not the same as the others and did not seem near as nice. The fold down seats on the Crestliner reminded me of the cheap ones that you can purchase at retail stores. Thin rubber mats lined the storage areas compared to carpet in the Ranger and the solid rubber decking material in the Lund. There were other small things such as the recessed trolling motor tray being just a cutout and not having tool and cup holders. The front deck had a lot of "give" to it as I walked on it. I could actually feel it sinking down and my son could see it give as well when I walked on it. The Crestliner was quite a bit cheaper in price however, so I feel this makes up for the differences.

The VT has now been replaced with the XF series. I don't know what changes have been made to the new model.

12. Member
    If you can get on the water in a Lund Renegade 1775 please try one out.
    You mentioned rocking. Well, Lunds are wider on the bottom creating more stability...less rock.

13. Member
    I looked them all over and for the price, felt the Crestliner was the best deal. I got it with a $1000 discount plus a military discount. The extras the dealer threw in made it the best deal. I will admit it does not have the fit and finish that a Ranger has, but it is a great boat to fish out of.
    2019 Crestliner VT 17 DX
    2019 40HP Mercury Fourstroke W/12 pitch Spitfire Prop
    80# Minn Kota Ultrex TM
    2 - Humminbird Helix 7 Chirp MSI GPS 3G

14. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I would strongly consider the Crestliner and check into Whites Marine in Pittsburg, MO. Great Prices.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

15. Member
    I got mine from Bob's Marine in Hillsboro, IL. He does still have the VT17 and the new XF179.

http://www.bobboats.com/sales.php
    2019 Crestliner VT 17 DX
    2019 40HP Mercury Fourstroke W/12 pitch Spitfire Prop
    80# Minn Kota Ultrex TM
    2 - Humminbird Helix 7 Chirp MSI GPS 3G

16. Member
    I sold my Ranger 521C because of my balance issues (standing on the front deck) for an Alweld stick steer where I get in sit down and fish. It's stable and gives a great ride, and it's amazing how much more you see at 35 mph. Love my tin!
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

17. Member
    For new....I would get the RT178 ..... unless you can spring for a 188. Which I would do.

I looked at them all.

If you can afford it and get it with a 25 somehow.... I would pay the money extra for a RT88. It is really worth it. At least I thought so. I Love LOve the layout and stability with the TM in use. The Stability is AWESOME......
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.