Chatterbaits in cold water?

I'm talking southern cold BTW. Cold front coming in, water should be down in the mid to upper 50's by late next week, and usually we'll see 40 degrees by late winter. So do you guys that fish them, use them in cold water?

2. Member
    I fish them in water colder than the upper 50s

If it's not ice they are in my rotation
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Yea they dont work on guntersville during winter time lol. Yes they are a killer cold water bait

5. Member
    I've had really good success with them all the way down to 43°F up north here. After that they seem to lose their effectiveness, just based on my observations over the last 4 or 5 falls anyway.

I’ve also caught them down into quite cold water temps on them. One thing I’ve learned is that cold is relative though...fish here in MN will feed a lot differently in low 40s water temps than they will in the south. Even still, mid to upper 50s I’m still throwing a buzzbait, definitely no concerns about a chatterbait being too aggressive.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Thanks for the replies, I'll try them out once this ridiculously cold, cold front passes through.

8. Member
    Are you guys still cranking them in the cold water or lifting and dropping like a jig?

I slow roll them, somewhat like a Colorado bladed spinnerbait =johnnybass;10646008]Are you guys still cranking them in the cold water or lifting and dropping like a jig?[/QUOTE]

10. Member
    put one on the middle wire of an A rig without skirt with a white swimbait on it and hold on!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I’ve also caught them down into quite cold water temps on them. One thing I’ve learned is that cold is relative though...fish here in MN will feed a lot differently in low 40s water temps than they will in the south. Even still, mid to upper 50s I’m still throwing a buzzbait, definitely no concerns about a chatterbait being too aggressive.
    This is a great point that I think gets overlooked a lot when there are blanket statements made about using X bait from Y temp to Z temp. Its all relative.
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    This afternoon on Toledo Bend I caught my PB - 7.78 lbs - on a chatterbait in 54 deg water. I was just reeling it back like I usually do.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I just slow roll them in the colder water temps. I look at a chatterbait as a lipless crank and swim jig together and fish it accordingly. It’s always in rotation, the only thing I change is how fast I’m reeling. Sometimes I will work it like a Texas Rig, raising it up to 12 o’clock then letting it fall to the bottom but that’s only when my graph is showing them held tight to the bottom.

It gets hit on the fall in 15’ of water more than I’d like to admit. Lost a good one the other day by not paying attention to it sinking.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV