Thread: XR6 Mods

XR6 Mods

I recently bought a very low hour (under 50 hrs) 2005 Mercury XR6 150 HP s/n 1B118910 and installed a jet drive and put it on a 2020 Blazer 1956 jet boat. It runs great and I am getting 5600 RPM @ WOT. Top speed however is a disappointing, but not unexpected 41.5 MPH.

Are there any mods that can be done to gain say 20 -25 HP at a reasonable price $1000.00 - $1500.00 (wishful thinking I know). I do plan on installing TDR or CCM reeds this winter - I know they won't increase HP.

BTW - the boat is rated for 105 HP which is what a 150 HP power head is as a Jet, so a larger HP motor is not an option.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Our reeds and stuffers will increase low and midrange performance,with a cleaner idle.Not having worked much with jets,not guessing as to top end.Definately safer for the motor,as broken steel reeds often damage motors,and the rubber coated merc cages are by far the most likely to fail.While your motor is easy enough to improve power wise with the standard lower unit by mods that will give more rpm,a jet requires more torque as well,not so easy,while maintaining an easy to use motor.Call to discuss if you like,Chris

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also keep in mind that the jet drive has about a 70% efficiency ratio (as compared to the outboard gearcases). Speed wise, you're probably about where I would expect if you factor that difference in efficiency.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor