Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Double check my 519

Hey guys about to pull the trigger on a new leftover 2019 Ranger 519 with the new Mercury 225 Pro XS fourstroke! I want to make sure I’m not forgetting anything on the boat or have any suggestions to add to the boat.
    The current way it’s rigged / I’m adding a few thing

Elite 12 Ti2 at the console and a 9Ti2 at the bow
    Minn Kota 80 Ultrex
    manual jackplate
    remote drain
    boat cover
    blinker trim
    hot foot
    tandem trailer
    challenger wheels
    vessel view your keep track of the hours
    t box ( trash can )
    keel gaurd
    stereo
    point one
    battery charge indicator
    I do believe that’s all I’m doing from the dealer, I’ll be adding power poles over winter. Let me know what you think , make sure I’m not missing anything
    Last edited by Red1993sol; 11-09-2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Forgot item

2. Member
    JMO ,,, I would highly consider upgrading the Ultex to a 36 volt TM . If you ever get into a high current situation or long no wakes you will be glad you did. Plus I'm looking for 19' boats to buy right now and when I see one without a 36 I see it as something I need to upgrade.

Tight lines

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    One of my favorite items that I added to my 2018 Z519 when I ordered it was upgrading the winch to an F2 3200 pound 2-speed. I’m going to assume that you travel to Erie, and possibly St. Clair, once in a while, and any time you have to use the winch you will be smiling if you have the 2-speed and can pop it into the low gear. The stock winch is rated at less than half the weight of your rig, and those factory winch straps are fairly prone to breakage when the thread deteriorates. [Dealer should be able to give you a trade-in on the stock item.] Secondly, I recommend the upgrade to 17-inch wheels and tires. Looks incredible, but also pulls much smoother.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    Hey thanks guys for the input , I never even through about the winch strap, I’ll be checking into that today. As for the wheels it does have the 17” challenger wheels, ( absolutely love them)I forgot to add them to the list of options . As for now I’ll keep the 80 ultrex ( switching it from my old boat) I believe I can make do with it. If not I’ll be adding the new ghost when they come in stock.
    Last edited by Red1993sol; 11-09-2019 at 09:08 AM.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    One more thought: I don’t know what you’re getting for batteries, but these days you absolutely cannot afford to go “just enough” in this regard. I upgraded to a 31 series dual-purpose AGM for my cranking battery and with a 24-volt trolling motor, would definitely go 31 series there as well. You’ll waste a good chunk of change if you go too small and find out later that you’re not satisfied with what you got.

What others said...go 36 now. The 80 is on the line for the 519C and the new L configuration is heavier. I would upgrade while the dealer can provide an exchange.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

7. Member
    I’d agree with the 36 volt trolling motor

8. Member
    Other than what some folks mentioned about upgrading to a 36V Ultrex, I'd really look into swapping out the 9 ti2 for a 12.

9. Member
    [QUOTE=Finlander;10639032]What others said...go 36 now. The 80 is on the line for the 519C and the new L configuration is heavier. I would upgrade while the dealer can provide an exchange.[/QUOTE
    good advice here

Just got a 519 and I love it! 36v, well worth the upgrade. Go big as you can afford WRT the electronics. I’d also consider a hydraulic jackplate, could be well worth it if you fish any big water.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

11. Member
    Trick step

12. Member
    Hydraulic jackplate, 36V trolling motor, & remote pumpout if not already spec'd.

Remote livewell pump out

14. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I have mixed feelings about hydraulic jack plates on big water. The last boat I had with hydraulic plate, pretty much every time I’d go offshore on Erie the jackplate bolts would loosen a bit. But those are big stinking bolts, so I was likewise concerned about hitting them with Loctite. I also found that with a good 4-blade prop, raising and lowering the plate wasn’t really necessary in any waves I cared to encounter. On the other hand, I enjoyed the hydraulic plate for extremely skinny water, both idling and jumping on plane. Not an absolute necessity, in my view, but nice in some circumstances. Also heavier than fixed plates, more prone to issues, and obviously more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by J D View Post
    Just got a 519 and I love it! 36v, well worth the upgrade. Go big as you can afford WRT the electronics. I’d also consider a hydraulic jackplate, could be well worth it if you fish any big water.

15. Member
    Alright I’m going to look into the 36 volt trolling motor , seems to be coming up a good bit! It has a pump out already on the boat . I personally have no need for a hydraulic jackplate, the waters I fish mostly have no need for one and on Erie if it’s that rough chances are I won’t be on the main lake. I do plan on adding a trick step over winter, after trying one I don’t think I can have a boat without one !

16. Member
    Not to beat a dead horse on the 36 v. but you will have to rewire and reconfigure batteries instead of having the dealer do it. You should be able to sell your 80 on here or trade for a fair amount.

He should get more credit out of that new 80 # TM than selling it used, even if it is brand new. The battery configuration is simply adding the third batter in series and adding the 4 bank charger. Again, he should get a better price point with the exchange on these 2 items.
    Last edited by Finlander; 11-11-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    He should get more credit out of that new 80 # TM than selling it used, even if it is brand new. The batter configuration is simply adding the third batter in series and adding the 4 bank charger. Again, he should get a better price point with the exchange on these 2 items.
    right, and dealer or factory installed it might not be that much more

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’m sure he can exchange the [currently ordered] 3-bank charger for a 4-bank model, but the 24 volt Ultrex is coming over from his previous boat, so it’s not new, and therefore more difficult to exchange. Ultrexes being as popular as they are, the dealer may be willing to buy it from the OP, but he probably could do better selling it himself, if he chose to go the 36v route.

20. Member
    This 36 volt thing is crazy. I fish the Potomac (tidal river) on an 80lb fortrex / basscat puma and it’s fine. Plus I save 70 pounds with 1 less battery. This 36 volt thing is the same argument as the folks saying you need a dually to pull a jon boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast