Portable helix 9

Going to do the update for ice fishing on my helix 9 mega and try to make it portable. Anyone done this and have a recommendation on what size battery I should go with? I want something light weight that's going to last most of the day. Not sure if a small 7 or 9 AH battery will get it done.

2. Member
    I use an 858 on ice and power it with Power sonic 9 aH battery. I get about 10 hours before it’s done, fishing without a hut. I mounted it on a Genz box so I’m limited by battery size. Your helix will draw a bit more amps so you may want a bigger battery. If you aren’t fishing more than 8 hours and run the backlight at 7ish you may get away with the 9aH. Good luck

3. Member
    Yeah I dont ice fish a ton, but I'm planning a trip with some buddies to wi and want to make sure whatever I make is going to get me through the day.

4. Member
    I made my helix 7 portable. I just use those batteries in the ice fishing section at Walmart. They go for 15 or 20 full price but I found a couple in the clearance section on the spring that were $5. I get about 6 hours a piece on full brightness so I just bring 2 for long days.

5. Member
    If you can swing it, go with a lithium battery rather than a SLA. You will be amazed at the difference. I purchased a 12 AH to push my Helix 7 and feel that I'm good to go on full brightness for a full day.