Thread: Lesson learned

Lesson learned

Me and dad went to dale hollow yesterday and braved the cold. I told him on the drive up, I really need to put that new Fulton winch on that I bought in July. I've just been lazy and kept putting it off. So, of course we are loading up the boat to go home and I give the winch one more crank and strap explodes. Kind of sounds like a gunshot. Now I'm thinking ch!t what I am going to do? Luckily, I saved a strap from my old boat winch when i put a new one on and put it in my truck toolbox. I had forgotten all about it. Its probably been in there 5 years. Got the new/old strap put on and saved the day. Not sure what I would have done if I didn't have that strap for a 150 mile ride home? Also realized when I took the broken strap off the winch itself was basically trash, almost rusted completely out inside. Kind of sad for a 4 year old ranger. Anyway, lesson is don't procrastinate!

2. Member
    Bigger question is how is the bite at Dale?
    2019 Crestliner PT 20 - Mercury 200 Pro XS 4s - Columbus, OH

3. Scraps
    I upgraded to the two-speed Fulton and it comes in handy and protects the back and nads. I use a couple shallow ramps and seem to have to winch more than I like..
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonsweb View Post
    Bigger question is how is the bite at Dale?
    Dale was ok. Typical early fall bite lots of small fish with a few slots mixed in. With all the cold weather coming in this week, my Thanksgiving wknd trip may be lights out!

5. Member
    Gives me food for thought. I've caught myself looking at the existing strap, thinking.... hmmmmm... wonder if I need to replace that yet.

Had to reply, just based on your screen name. My dad used to use "bassakwards" from as far back as I can remember, growing up in the 60's.
    Been 13 years this year he's been gone...… miss the old fart dearly.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I upgraded to the two-speed Fulton and it comes in handy and protects the back and nads. I use a couple shallow ramps and seem to have to winch more than I like..
    Did you install yours after you bought your boat or it came with the it? Does it have a cross bolt? I went to install it this morning and mine doesn't have the cross bolt installed or in the box. I tried to call Fulton's customer service but that ate closed today.

7. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Did you install yours after you bought your boat or it came with the it? Does it have a cross bolt? I went to install it this morning and mine doesn't have the cross bolt installed or in the box. I tried to call Fulton's customer service but that ate closed today.
    I was replacing a stock Fulton jack so the bolt pattern was the same. I guess this had the cross bolt. I didn't need anything else.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    When I’ve had a strap break in the past I just cut off a few feet, threaded it through the eye bolt and tied a knot. It will get you home.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

9. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    When I’ve had a strap break in the past I just cut off a few feet, threaded it through the eye bolt and tied a knot. It will get you home.
    X2
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    X3

11. Member
    I just replaced my strap with the heavy duty yellow one, I’m sure it will be there for a while.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I was replacing a stock Fulton jack so the bolt pattern was the same. I guess this had the cross bolt. I didn't need anything else.
    No I'm referring to the cross bolt inside the gear box when you put the strap in. The instructions says go between the cross bolt and hub. Ive only got the hub, no cross bolt.

i have retied my winch strap 3 times, turns out a polamar works well hahaha
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

14. Member
    re the cross bolt. if it is the one that I am thinking about, you can just substitute a 1/4 20 bolt, with a locking nut, of the appropriate size if you want to get on with it. I wouldn't wait for a new bolt from the manufacturer, but that is just me. Or, just steal one from the old winch.

15. Member
    I have broken winch strap too. Just tie knot in it an move on. Have a new replacement that Ranger sent me still in box.

Found that if you back trailer in water as far as you can ( to get bunks wet all the way up ) then pull up to right depth for putting boat on trailer it helps. Not as much stress on winch/ strap when bunks are wet.
    Semper Fi

Glad you had a spare and was prepared!
    I carry all sorts of stuff "Just in Case". Too many I know have a spare, but not means to change it or lift trailer. I carry a full complement of tools including a breaker bar and sockets, ratchet straps, mini floor jack, block of wood, ... I guess hauling a kayak, or pulling a trailer, or helping someone else, I have the room, so why not.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    re the cross bolt. if it is the one that I am thinking about, you can just substitute a 1/4 20 bolt, with a locking nut, of the appropriate size if you want to get on with it. I wouldn't wait for a new bolt from the manufacturer, but that is just me. Or, just steal one from the old winch.
    I called Fulton customer service this morning. Apparently, they have changed design and no longer required the cross bolt, I just happened to get an old installation instruction packet in my box.