Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question My First Mercury ever. Diagnostic cable?

I've always had Yamaha or Evinrude motors. But a super nice boat came my way with a 2002 Mercury Optimax, and I couldn't pass it up. Here is what the ID tag reads:

Mercury Serial Number 0T470594P 2002 L OP Max RPM 5,750 Factory Reconditioned

Looking under the hood, this is SO different from my loopers, Fichts and Etecs. You can barely even find the spark plugs.

It starts and runs well on the hose. On the lake, it starts easily and runs smooth and has amazing holeshot, but then seems to starve a little for fuel at higher RPM after a few minutes.

I need a factory service manual and to go through the fuel system of the boat and engine.

Is there a computer in this motor, where you can connect a cable to test the systems and get a readout of hours, error codes and such? Or must I go to a dealer? Does "Factory Reconditioned" mean that it's had the latest updates?

I appreciate all the advice and help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

You can get a printout of history, faults and hours done at a Mercury dealer. They will hook to the diagnostic cable get the info you want. The Mercury service manuals are listed by a range of serial numbers. You can order one from your dealer.

If you don't have a MercMonitor Level 1 installed on your boat/motor, it is highly recommended. It's a good way to monitor water pressure and temp. Can also see engine hours and fuel used.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    While I have a Mercmonitor, a good economical alternative is the Vessel View Mobile -New VesselView Mobile

To read computer data yourself you'll be limited to obtaining something from Diacom/Rinda, which is a bit pricey, but worth it if you don't have ready access to a dealer.

Contact board sponsor European Marine (see sticky topics at top of forum) or create an account on their parts site to obtain a factory service manual. The FAQ at the top of the forum is chock FULL of useful information, some of the most common (there are many more).

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS

BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines

Compressor STRAINER Cleaning

Proper Warmup and Cold Water Operation
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Thanks Bob and Silverfox.
    I've been reading a lot, and it seems more confusing, the more I read.
    Yesterday, I took the boat out, and at high speed, it didn't just falter, it kicked off the warning horn, and kicked into limp mode. I'll make a post about it, but I need to figure this out before running her again.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thilltony View Post
    Thanks Bob and Silverfox.
    I've been reading a lot, and it seems more confusing, the more I read.
    Yesterday, I took the boat out, and at high speed, it didn't just falter, it kicked off the warning horn, and kicked into limp mode. I'll make a post about it, but I need to figure this out before running her again.
    THIS is why you really need those Printouts from the Computer Diagnostic System (Run History and Freeze Frame "Fault" History). Information in those reports will indicate what the fault was that resulted in Engine Guardian.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Agreed. No more running until I know more.

Question: Will Vessel view mobile show me fault codes? The kit I ordered will be here tomorrow.

If not, I need to plan out a trip somewhere to find a dealer.

Again, thanks, guys. I really, really appreciate the warnings, info and advice.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It will display a fault and likely a fault NUMBER (limited data on these older models).

If you setup a "Preferred Dealer" in your Account Profile, they too will be able to see the information (again, limited info).

Unfortunately, you can't go back and lookup historical items that occurred PRIOR TO you installing the Vessel View Mobile (only the Diagnostic System has that capability).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. ourflat
    You can purchase Diacom Diagnostics software that will allow you to do all that you ask. I have it for my 1999 Optimax 200 and I have full access to the above. The software will even allow me to prime the oil injection if needed.

Diacom will also allow you to test other systems on your engine to include fuel pump, ignition system, and others. I purchased the software and use it on 2 of my Mercury engines. I purchased it because the dealership wanted to charge me $150.00 to read my engine data. It doesn’t take too many trips to the shop to pay for the Diacom software. In my case, the dealership that was troubleshooting my engine couldn’t fix the problem. After scanning the codes I located the problem and called the boat manufacture who in turn called Mercury HQ to send me the part needed. They made an exception in my case because the problem wasn’t corrected after numerous tries. My Diacom kit came with the ECU connector for my 200 Optimax: bonus!

9. Member
    Thank you, EuroAM. No way around it, I need a proper scan, like everyone is telling me. Sorry for having such a thick skull.

I searched on the Mercury site, and I found a couple of shops 35-50 miles away - closer than I'd thought.

Ourflat: How much was the Diacom kit with the ECU connector? Maybe that is an option I should consider again, if I call the dealer and they are weeks and weeks out. I'll know more tomorrow, after talking to them.

Does anyone rent out the equipment or software? I'm used to using the Evinrude diagnostic software, and it sounds very similar.

10. ourflat
    The kits start around $400.00.... Easy to use either stand alone or USB computer version. I purchased the computer version. Google will take you to their website.

11. Member
    You'll find the info on Rinda's website and it has been posted here many times. There's no competition involved, as a consumer, you cannot order the Mercury diagnostics.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If I were going to purchase one as a consumer... it would be the Diacom setup. Far more versatile than most of the hand-held options, and quite cost-effective.

13. Member
    I reached out to the closer dealer, and they said they could do the diagnostic today. Then a tech called back and said he wasn't sure if he had the adapter for a 2002 Optimax, and he would call me back. That seemed odd. Now it's been several hours, and no call back yet.

I'm not sure what to think, but it seems like the brakes got put on when the girl asked for my info, and if I wanted them to "go ahead and fix whatever they found?" I told her I wanted to get a scan first, to see what faults they found, and then we could discuss cost and schedule. Then I got that call.

If the price is reasonable, and they can assure me they can fix it the first time, I'd love to have them do it, but I'm not writing them a blank check. I've been burned like that before, and it's not going to happen again.

I'm hoping he just got busy and forgot to call, and that they aren't just looking for an easy mark. I might end up calling the other dealer, if this one doesn't shape up.

I'll report back.

14. Member
    Well that was interesting... I called back, and they said they were now swamped with work. Call back in a week or two, and maybe they can fit me in.

I have the strong suspicion they were looking for an easy mark. That area is notorious for shady dealings. Long ago, I had the OMC marina next door to them try to steal my engine. Listen to this story...

I needed a head gasket. They said $75 plus $30 parts, and done by lunch. Great. When I dropped the boat, they stared at me funny. On my way home, they called, and said my engine was shot. #2 cylinder is fried, "but good news- we ordered a brand new powerhead, and it will be swapped out by the end of the week."

"How much is that going to cost?" "With 5-year warranty, only $5,500." "I'm sorry, I can't afford that." When I wouldn't agree, he growled, "Then get your **** off my property!" I did a U-turn and headed back. I arrived to a group of angry mechanics glowering at me. I wondered if I was about to get jumped. My engine heads were thrown into the boat, bolts rolling everywhere. I backed up to the boat, and the guy barked that he wanted his $75. I paid and left. I've never seen a business treat anyone like that before.

Back at home, I was bummed that my motor was "shot." Curious, I looked into the cylinders, and they were all smooth as glass. Huh? I called and asked which cylinder was bad, and he slammed the phone. That was suspicious. Why all the anger?

I put the heads back on, and the engine ran great for years after. I found out from locals that those guys pulled that stuff on unsuspecting victims all the time, and that I got lucky, because they normally take the engine apart before making the call. They either take your engine and re-sell, or they pretend to swap powerheads.

THAT is when I got a manual and started working on my own engines. Being right next door to those crooks, I'm very suspicious of the events today. I probably won't be calling next week.

Just called the next closest dealer, and the phone has a fast busy tone. I wonder if they are out of business too?

UGH. I hate boat problems!

15. ourflat
    Wise man! I have found more dishonest shops in the RV, motorcycle, and marine industry than I can remember! When you find a shop that isn’t a hack then your on to something.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's the kind of story that makes life miserable for those of us that try to do it RIGHT.

17. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That's the kind of story that makes life miserable for those of us that try to do it RIGHT.
    Don, we know shops like yours does it right!

18. Member
    I just wish you were closer. Is there anyone in VA you can recommend as being honest?

Did nothing with the boat today. Long day. Tomorrow, I hope to run back to the Bay. I took my nephews on Thursday, and we caught some beautiful trout. Lookie here:
    20201119_170245.jpg

Better go soon, it looks like winter is coming Tuesday.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Where in Virginia are you located?

20. Member
    I am out in the woods, sort of between Richmond and Charlottesville. Not really close to anything. Zip 22960 Mercury Dealer search gives most of them who service as 70-140 miles away

The most suspicious dealers are near Lake Anna. I don't want to publicly call them out, but there are a number of them in a small area, and I tried again the other day, and I just need to steer clear.

The one I wanted to go to was in Fredericksburg, Performance Boats, were decent guys, but they don't seem to be in business anymore, unfortunately.
    Last edited by thilltony; 11-26-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast