Prop Binding on New V8 Verado

I just put a brand new prop (24p Bravo FS) on a brand new 300HP V8 Verado (2B646603) and after tightening it to the recommended 55 ft-lbs it binds in one spot on the revolution. I can rotate it through but it gets pretty tight in this one spot and you can hear something rubbing, but I can’t isolate it.

The motor has never been run, I was just getting it ready to launch it for the first time. I’m using an old solid 1 1/4” fat shaft hub kit from my prior 250 ProXS, but this hub kit is supposed to work on the V8 Verados and there are no visible issues with it.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
    Last edited by rpr; 11-08-2019 at 06:16 PM.
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

2. Member
    Never mind, I should have searched the prop forum first. I indexed the prop 90 degrees on the hub, no more rubbing or binding.

Good to know in the future thanks.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Be interesting to see an explanation for why that works. This would imply either the hub or the prop itself is not exactly centered on the prop shaft. Can't imagine how that could happen. Seen 'em sit too deeply if the hub is installed correctly. IE it would seem that for this to work (a) the prop shaft has to either be slightly bent or else not exactly centered in the bearing carrier (or the bearing carrier is slightly distorted; and (b) the prop hub has to not exactly be centered in the prop. Then you could rotate prop 90 degrees at a time until you get the two off-center points opposite of each other. But this REALLY happens???
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Every manufactured component has a tolerance... and if you happen to stack all those tolerances with the "plus" atop each other, this could happen. Pretty low odds of it happening, but is does happen.

Can also be that something didn't seat exactly perfect the first time, for whatever reason.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I’ve used numerous props on my rigs and I’ve never had it happen before this time. But I had the same initial reaction as Oldtimer. Couldn’t believe it was happening to begin with, and couldn’t believe simply indexing the prop resolved it.

7. Member
    Hmmm. Would NEVER have expected the "tolerance stacking" to reach the point of causing rubbing? IE I have checked the runout at the very end of my prop shaft after we encounter some shallow water (always at slow speeds). The last time I checked, it was about 0.002" (two thousandths). Isn't the merc spec less than 0.010" or so (was too lazy to go downstairs into basement to look at my service manual. That would mean a significant tolerance in the hub (I can certainly believe that since it is not exactly a hard metal part) and/or the center of the prop where the hub fits. Would not have expected that to add up. I'd expect that kind of off-center tolerance to create a vibration that the rear prop shaft bearing would not be happy with??

Only time I have ever seen friction was when a neighbor (since moved away) managed to put a prop on with the thrust washer on the BACK of the prop, letting it sit so deep it made a real mess when he ran it...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rich- you might want to consider the SSR Hub Kit (good choice for higher HP 4-strokes). Not directly related to your above situation, but a really good choice for the application.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thanks Don, I already purchased one of the new SSR hubs. However, I figured I would use the old solid fat shaft hub until I confirm my prop is dialed in because I heard the new SSR hubs are very difficult to remove. If you have any tips regarding removing the new SSR hubs I would love to hear what you recommend (short of using a press). Tx.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A press is often the best method.

11. Member
    rpr

I use a 30mm stainless rod -it's actually a alignment tool for mounting rings and scopes on rifles. Place it on back side of the hub and hammer out. Place the prop on two 4x4's where the barrel of the prop is taking the impact against the 4x4's and hammer hub out. It's work, but not the easiest. Wish I could find a press to use as it has to be better/easier method. At this point, I've just bought several SSR hub kits and leave them in props instead of changing them around , especially if its a prop I know I'm going to keep and run.

***If you'll grease the hubs up very good when you install them in prop, it does make it easier installing and removing hubs.

EuopeanAM - doesn't Mercury specify the SSR hub for the Verados and V8 series??
    Last edited by falconpilot; 11-17-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, the SSR Hub Kit is strongly recommended for the V6/V8 Fourstroke models.