Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Donnie- just out of curiousity, what SPARK PLUG and GAP was running in the engine?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Donnie- just out of curiousity, what SPARK PLUG and GAP was running in the engine?
    Running NGK IZFR6J gapped at .043. This set had 16 hours on them.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What did the previous set look like (and how old/how many hours on those)? Electrode and arm intact on the last set?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    What did the previous set look like (and how old/how many hours on those)? Electrode and arm intact on the last set?
    I went back and looked at the plugs that came out of it and couldn't see tell tale signs of any problems, in fact the old plugs looked really good. Checked the gap and the gap is still at .043. I change the plugs every 100 hours so those had 100 hours on them. That's why I think it's a shame for this to happen with just 316 hours.
    Last edited by Donnieb; 11-11-2019 at 03:02 PM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Will be interesting to see some pictures when that head is removed.

6. Member
    Will be interesting to see some pictures when that head is removed.
    Don sent you some photos to your e mail address, let me know if you get them.
    Trying to send them from my phone, don't think they are going through, Send me a good e mail addy and I will send them again
    Last edited by Donnieb; 11-11-2019 at 05:45 PM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, try posting those pictures here, or on a sharing site such as Shutterfly (my email storage costs are starting to break the bank).

8. Member
    If you would, try posting those pictures here, or on a sharing site such as Shutterfly (my email storage costs are starting to break the bank).
    Sorry Don but I have no idea how to post pictures

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

10. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Select Insert Image. The rest should be self-explanatory.

Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-12-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Makeum Big Picture.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

11. Member
    20191108_195254.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member

13. Member

14. Member
    That's about the best I could do

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Select Insert Image. The rest should be self-explanatory.

Thanks Bruce

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I think you'll find the problem started IN THE CRANKCASE (oil line problem, rod bolt failed, etc). The piston damage may have been an "aftermath" situation (and it does NOT appear that the cylinder was "lean").

Ring definitely hung in the port, but this usually does not result in a broken rod.

17. Member
    I think you'll find the problem started IN THE CRANKCASE (oil line problem, rod bolt failed, etc). The piston damage may have been an "aftermath" situation (and it does NOT appear that the cylinder was "lean").

Ring definitely hung in the port, but this usually does not result in a broken rod.
    well I guess it doesn't matter at this point what came first the chicken or the egg, Mercury has said they won't help.Just a shame as I have said before that a motor with low hours and taken care of like this one was to go like that. Mercury said that if it was a mechanical issue it would have shown up way before 300 hours. Maybe so I don't know.

18. Member

In this case what would the chain of events be to cause the ring to hang?

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalliStratos View Post
    In this case what would the chain of events be to cause the ring to hang?
    Debris lodged between piston and port.

20. Member
    Debris lodged between piston and port.
    What kind of debris may be a reed?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast