2018 Pro XS 2 stroke no water pressure on muffs

I have a 2018 Pro XS 250 ser# 2B401389. The motor has less than 10 hours on it. The motor was last ran in May or June. I hooked it up to outboard muffs, with the front water pick ups taped and without. No sign of water pressure on either my Smart Craft, or the standard water pressure gauge. Nothing out of the pisser either.

Am I missing how to run on muffs? I checked the manual and I couldn't find anything. I live in southern California so extreme cold isn't an issue, and a few days over 100 during the summer no super extreme heat.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Low water pick ups MUST be blocked.
    Are you turning on the house water supply with enough flow?

3. Member
    I cranked up the hose on a standard pair of muffs. I used duct tape on the nose holes. My old Opti 225 was no problem. This is the first time I tried muffs on this outboard. Zero water pressure has me stumped.

Motor running?
    Did you have a pressure problem last time on the water?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Motor pissed and had great pressure it's under 10 hours. I am going to purchase the big Mercury one with the slide pin. I am hoping the one I have isn't sealing good enough.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1 on the pin-style earmuffs.

IF you still do not have water pressure (note: engine may need to idle for 10-20 seconds before pressure is present), you'll need to start at the WATER PUMP. Water pump is an ANNUAL Maintenance item.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor