Pheasant hunt follow up

What an awesome time in South Dakota. There were 10 of us in the hunting party. The limit is 3 roosters per day. All of us limited out each day. I've never seen so many roosters running around. Hope to go again next year. The price was 2K per hunter, lodging and meals included. Bird cleaning was $5.00 per bird. Non-resident license was $121.00. I drove 10 hours the first day then 6 the next day. I saw huge flocks of snow geese several times a day. I'd guess in excess of 1K birds per group. Their honking filled my ears as we walked through the sorghum. Great memories hunting with a group of retired Soldiers.

2. Member
    Sounds like good times! Love them Chinese Chickens!

Cool. I'd like to do that and chase some ducks in ND. Actually, I want to chase ducks from Saskatchewan to the Gulf Coast. Might do it in a couple of years.

Do you have any thoughts on doing it without a guide? Wondering what the public hunting is like.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Cool. I'd like to do that and chase some ducks in ND. Actually, I want to chase ducks from Saskatchewan to the Gulf Coast. Might do it in a couple of years.

Do you have any thoughts on doing it without a guide? Wondering what the public hunting is like.
    I might try a self hunt next year. I did not get any info for hunting public land. When on factors in the total cost of an unguided hunt vs a guided hunt I'm not sure how much money is saved. For sure there is less frustration when using a guide. Maybe someone else can give info on a self hunt. Good luck!

That sounds like a blast, glad you had a successful trip. I read a story in Field and Stream years ago about some pheasant hunters, a game warden was sitting in a cafe listening to all the hunters complain about how bad the hunting was, it had been a hot dry winter and spring and there were just no birds anywhere. Well over in the corner of the cafe were two out of staters bragging about how good the hunting was and how many birds they had killed. Now the warden hearing them decided to talk to them, oh yes sir we've had a great hunt all the birds are in the car. So they go and look at the birds and they open up the trunk and it's full of............ road runners. The officer felt so bad for them being such morons he just walked away laughing.

6. Member
    I wonder if those road runners were tasty?

That's why the warden just left them alone.

8. Member
    How many days did you hunt mike?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmanbear View Post
    How many days did you hunt mike?
    5 days. They do offer a 3 day package.

10. Member
    We go up there in December in and do a self hunt for 3 days. Its $500 to $600 for the trip. Good times for sure.

We do pay to hunt the land and for the farmhouse we rent but the rest is on us. 30 miles south of Aberdeen.

11. Member
    Sounds like a great trip.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catchatoad View Post
    We go up there in December in and do a self hunt for 3 days. Its $500 to $600 for the trip. Good times for sure.

We do pay to hunt the land and for the farmhouse we rent but the rest is on us. 30 miles south of Aberdeen.
    Brown county is in the top 5 counties of harvested roosters last year. Two of us are thinking of doing a self hunt somewhere in that area. Thinking I'll pull the camper if I can find a RV park that is open or a place to boondock for the week. Good luck on your hunt.