Thread: new powerheads

new powerheads

Anyone been seeing issues with the new 4strokes going down? My 250 with 57 hours just went down with no compression on one cylinder and now waiting on a new powerhead. I haven't heard of anybody having troubles around here with them. Guess it was just my time for some bad luck after 40 years with no mechanical failures. 2019 250L proxs serial #2B596861
    Last edited by APS; 11-08-2019 at 10:57 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required info when posting. Thanks!

I have not (yet) seen a failure here, and have only heard of 2 (now).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I purchased my boat/motor in April (2019) when the 150 4stk motor had 7 hours on it. The motor is a 2016 so obviously it sat a while. I continued the break-in practice. At 12 hours it lost oil pressure and blew up. I had properly filled out and transferred the po's platinum warranty to myself. Dealer called and said Mercury was shipping a new powerhead assembly. He said he found metal frag in the oil sump and it did not look abused, but since he wasn't tearing it completely down they may never know. They just drop it back in the crate and send it back to Merc for autopsy. He relayed what he and other mechanics had heard but NOT substantiated about possible machining issues around that time, but to take it with a grain of salt. New powerhead is now broken in and he said to change the oil/filter when it gets to 20 hours.
    Last edited by moymurfs; 11-26-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498