1980 single axle vs tanden

I have been looking at the 1980 for a long time and i have finally found one exactly the way i have built mine on the vexus website so many times and its fairly close to home. The issue is it only has a singe axle trailer. Does anyone regret buying a 1980 with a singe axle trailer ?? i know years ago with i bought my 1st boat with a tandem axle (champion 203) i swore i would never have a single axle again it pulled so nice and no bounce what so ever.

2. Member
    Would a 1980 ride better on a duel axle absolutely I would think so however I have a single axle and is does not bounce excessively like my last boat on a single axle it rides quite well.

3. Member
    I have a single axle and do NOT regret it...Dealer tried to get me to wait on a tandem, but my driveway and shed long and is hard to back in to...A tandem will not turn like a single while backing or forward...More maintenance, and more weight to the rig. Unless you plan to travel great distances to fish, 300-600miles frequently, I think a single is well suited..............JMO...gobblr addict

I would bet they could order their next 1980 with a tandem and swap them out easy enough for $xxx
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    I came across a deal that was too good to pass up with a single axle. Otherwise I'd have a double for redundancy. With a double you can remove a wheel and limp home if needed. I'm sure I'll manage just fine though.

6. Member
    I agree with gobblr addict. For me I have to push the boat by hand into its final position in the garage and tandem would not happen. Also I rarely go over 80 miles to the lake. I also would rather put that $1500 into electronics or somewhere else in the boat.
    2019 AVX1980 Sumit White
    150hp Evinrude Etec G2
    Ultrex
    Garmin Echomap ultra 106sv bow/console
    Joined the revolution 10/25/19

7. Member
    I originally wanted a single axle trailer because like someone said above, I have to push the boat into the garage sideways. I needed up with a tandem, and am glad I did. I honestly don't think maneuvering a single axle would be much easier, I would still need dollies to push it sideways. I can push the tandem trailer forward/backward straight by myself, and roll it around the garage easily with some harbor freight wheel jacks/dollies. And this is a glass boat.

Having already had a blowout, the peace of mind is with the tandem. Because eventually you'll have one and it'll be on the side of the highway with no shoulder or a freeway overpass during rush hour. If you can afford the extra 1500, do it.
    2014 Skeeter ZX200 - 200 SHO

8. Member
    single axle here, easy to move by myself, less tire expense on replacing, does not bounce boat is heavy enough, only issue is its not as easy to back up long distance as a tandem. A single axle is simple to move for me without dolly, I move all around shop and never regret not getting dual.
    Jeremy
    Texas A&M \'99