Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sell me on a Basscat!

I’m ready to pull the trigger on a boat under $40K and have it narrowed down to a 2012-2014 Cougar FTD or Ranger 520/521. Always been a fan of the look and layout of Ranger but recently came across the Basscat build videos on YouTube and am super impressed. I also love the speed of the Basscat, lifetime hull warranty, rough water capability. Help push me over the edge boys.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

Only way to decide is to go out and test them. Not just driving it, but deck layout, stability in the water, etc. You will like what you like, maybe not what someone else likes. Being a Family Owned style of business was a selling point for me as well.
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

3. Member
    You just stated some of the obvious reasons to choose BCB over Ranger. BCB has the best customer service in the industry hands down, no one can dispute that. I have experienced their customer service first hand and I don't even own a BCB! YET!!! From my early days of fishing (back in the 80s) Ranger has been the gold standard of bass boats, and quite honestly, they still are in most peoples opinion. Ranger makes a good looking, good quality boat. It honestly comes down to what you want in a boat, how you want it to perform, and how you like the aesthetics. I personally feel you get more boat for your money with BCB. Either way you go you should be extremely pleased with your purchase.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

4. Member
    There are many players in the bass boat industry. Many come and go, most are just mass produced production boats, and there are some 1-off's with pretty pics and ads but without any history, data or durability info proven over time. But there is 1 company that has been around for almost 50 years, has been family owned and operated the whole time, that has the passion, the people, the knowledge, the capability and unsurpassed customer service bar none. It's Rick Pierce's BassCat organization. Rick and his team of craftsman build an incredible product. They are always innovating and working on finding details to improve performance, ride, fishability and to answer the customer wants, needs and requests. Once you own a BassCat, you are part of their family. And it goes beyond just 'the factory'. It's a tremendous dealer network, it's a great following and fan base that you'll see and experience whether you're online looking for info...or at the ramp looking for info to make your day a better experience. Personally we've owned 3 new and several used BassCat's and had experience with many others over the years. Nothing else comes close to comparing to the BassCat brand. Exceptional product and unmatched customer service. I'll spend my $ where it's appreciated and where they know my name, my sons name and just who we are. You're not a # with BassCat...you're family.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

5. Member
    Rough water ride in a cat is great, no question. But the thing I like the most about it is when you hit a wave there is no rattle, no feeling like the boat may fall apart. No cheap feeling. They fish great and run just as good. That build quality will last for many years to come even in a used rig.

good luck with your search.

NH guy... Winnie and Champ big water days will be immeasurably better in a Basscat. I fished the costa this year on Champlain. BOTH days were really windy. Day 1 was a Ranger 521 making the run to Ti. I was sore and I'm not a small guy. Day 2 with Avena, the winds were bigger and we still ran to Ti. The ride (and he's obviously a good driver) was so much smoother. I sold my Ranger and got a Basscat.
    0G886873 Mercury Serial Number
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera III with 200 Merc

Cougar = corvette.......Ranger = 1500 pickup truck........
    Last edited by basshole51; 11-08-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

I have rode both and it is a toss up. The Ranger z521 is well over 21' and both are bigger than the Cougar at 20'4". Stability on the water goes to the Ranger hands down. Its has a longer and wider foot print so its not worth arguing. Build quality goes to the Cat. Ranger still uses quite a bit of plastic, not cheap plastic but still plastic as opposed to Cat who utilize virtually no plastic. If you are going to have an issue, it will be with the plastic trim. We are splitting hairs on design and both boats will provide several more years of serviceable life.

Personally, I buy second hand these days and consequently trade up more frequently so its just a matter of time for me to be back in a Cat. That being said, Rangers are far more plentiful second hand than Cats. Cat owners typically take better care of their boats, hold on to them longer and get more out of them when they sell. There is nothing wrong with either choice, mostly just different. I like the Corvette vs 3/4 ton truck analogy but Corvette vs Tahoe might be more appropriate.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

that was actually a typo and supposed to say 1500...I fixed it.

Personally I think a BCB on average rides much dryer and has a softer entry than a Ranger in rough water but MUCH of rough water rides depends on driver and situation.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

10. Member
    A post from facebook, I made a while back in response to seeing the post on basscat tapatalk https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bass...mk9qmU#p267851.

People have asked me why I was hell bent on owning and why I ultimately bought a Bass Cat about a month ago.....I go into much more detail about the why's, but it all really boils down to one person....Rick,Pierce. Rick Pierce is why I own a Bass Cat. From my very first time talking with him at a gas station while I was about to fill up my previous Phoenix Bee Line and watching him get into an old farm truck and drive off as humble as pie, to answering the phone when I called and had a question about lighted livewells in an older model boat, to his presence on this and other boards/forums, to now reading the letter in the link below, he has set a precedent that I don't think will ever be matched especially for a man in his position, at a company as large as Bass Cat. It is truly inspiring.

11. Member
    I really appreciate the responses guys. Hopefully making a deposit on a 2013 Cougar FTD on Monday!
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JStratosB View Post
    I really appreciate the responses guys. Hopefully making a deposit on a 2013 Cougar FTD on Monday!
    You will not be sorry. Build quality, ride, speed and the best customer service hands down is why I switched to a BassCat. I will never own another brand.
    Brad Krone

13. Member
    If you buy the Cat, make sure you transfer the warranty by calling the factory. I think it will cost you $100, but it will also enroll you in their Quest tournament program

Don

You are doing good to research the info. Don't DRINK the Kool Aid, sample the flavors slowly. There are several good brands and you're wise to look around. Yes, they have been family owned for most of it's existence but they did join Correct Craft boat group. They are still family run and designs are original, not someone elses discarded molds.
    There are no perfect boats, some are better at certain aspects than others. A few stand out, like the two you mentioned. After researching, try to see and ride in your choices. Then make your choice, not based on internet chat rooms, not on advertising but on your desires and how many are checked off on each brand. After all, your siggy is a MH Champ, so you know the Arkansas Ozark groups build em right.
    Good Luck!

15. Member
    The first step is enough. Find a 10 year old bass cat. Look at the boat CAREFULLY. Walk back to the transom and look at the splash well. See any cracks? Not likely. You can forget the family-owned stuff and such, that is all just icing on the cake. The quality is in the hull itself. It is incredibly strong. I have run through some water on Pickwick and Guntersville that would rattle your teeth if you mis-judged a wave. Boat sounds like it is made of steel when it hits the water. They are simply solid. And pretty damned fast as well. And I have NEVER gotten wet, with one exception. Idling into quartering waves with a 20-30mph wind blowing at you. ANY splashing from the hull will get picked up by the wind. True of any boat made. Otherwise I have never felt a drop of water, even running 75+ in significant waves to beat a thunderstorm.

All the glitz and glamor just make it better. I own a 2008 that is now 12 years old. Zero stress cracks/fractures in the back. Zero cracks anywhere. It just works.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

16. Member
    I’ve been wet in both my Cougar and Sabre. KY Lake can humble any bass boat. A good friend of mine has a 520L. It’s a different boat than a Cat. I’d suggest you getting in both and fishing for a bit. I’d choose Cat, but the 520 is a VERY nice rig and wouldn’t be an inferior choice. There are different brands and layouts for a reason.

17. Member
    BassCats are very nimble boats, turn on a dime, get on plane quick, seem to draft shallower than most boats I’ve been in and actually roll stumps Better. I was practicing on lake Seminole in Ga and didn’t have an issue with stumps, towards the end of the trip I had motor issues and had to borrow a 201 ProXl stratos for the BFL Regional. GREAT BOAT BUT just felt very wide, heavy, and clunky compared to my P2 and my friends Cougar that I am frequently riding In. Trolling motor response on a Cat seems to be much better as well, by this I mean it’s a lot easier to maneuver around dock corners or stumps, The stratos seemed to drag ass a bit more and hinder maneuverability. I will say the same for running on plane, Basscat cuts and slices turns like say a Corvette, Stratos seemed like you needed to really lay off throttle a bit and the whole boat wants to lean over to where you can stick your hand out and touch the water, not saying it’s a bad thing but I wasn’t a fan. I’ve heard some horror stories about the newer rangers lately as well. Compartment lids coming off on less than year old models, seats seperating, dash panels going out, screws laying on the ground after rough rides on 2019 models. Also the Z19-Z21 is a hard riding boat, console is a little more placed forward and really beats you in rough stuff. I’m not hating on the other brands I just personally can’t see being in anything but a Basscat

I drove BassCat’s from 1990 to 2014 when I retired and downsized to an Aluminum boat so my Grandkids could drive it. If BassCat made an Aluminum boat, I would still be driving one.
    I can attest to the great customer Service, I am just a weekend fisherman, but anytime I talked to the BassCat team, they seemed to know me.
    Everything on my BassCat worked: Every Time: All The Time.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

19. Member
    I should have bought a ranger said no one who owns a BassCat.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

Between those two boats, they will fish/ drive at totally different spectrums. The Cougar will be a faster more nimble boat on most lakes. You'll be out on the bow more on that trolling motor which takes some getting used to. It will strengthen your core muscles thats for sure. The caracal layout is some what closer to the 520 in terms of width at the trolling motor pedal. It would be another rig at your price range I would not dismiss. I have owned both the caracal and now a puma (same hull as the cougar) There are things I miss about the caracal but like more about the puma. The construction and design on the boats your looking at is night and day over the ranger. Also the trailers are some of the beefiest youll come across. Get on face book, there are some "bass cat owners group" pages and "bass cat boats for sale" pages. I know of several cougars on there in your price range, and a few just over 40k caracals that have been babied.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast