Map card for humminbird

Going to ask Mrs. Claus to bring me a mapping card for my Hummingbird Helix9 g3n si, should I be asking for a navionixs card? Or lakemaster? And which one. I fish ky mainly

Thanks
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

I prefer my Lakemaster much more over Navionics.

Funny, I was about to post the same question. I am also new to Humminbird. What are the advantages of Lakemaster? Mark, why do you prefer LM?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    I’ve fished a lot with my buddy that has Hummingbird and Lowrance side by side at the console. We fish Kentucky Lake. The LakeMaster on the Hummingbird is much more detailed and accurate than the Navionics on the Lowrance unit.

Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    Going to ask Mrs. Claus to bring me a mapping card for my Hummingbird Helix9 g3n si, should I be asking for a navionixs card? Or lakemaster? And which one. I fish ky mainly

Thanks
    The best one for you is the one that has the coverage you need with the detail you want where you need it.

You can view the current Navionics maps on their website's Chart Viewer.
    You can see the lake lists for Lakemaster on the Humminbird Lakemaster site.

The Lakemaster locations designated as Lakemaster High Definition Survey* are the best ones.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Without a doubt the best card is the LakeMaster IF they have your lake covered. Navionics is a good card, absolutely nothing wrong with them, but LakeMaster is just that much better if they have your lake!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

7. Member
    Lake master.....and it's not even close.

8. Member
    I just went to lakemasters website and there are quite a few versions available, seems a bit confusing. The issue I think I may have is that I fish both ky and Indiana regularly and their cards stop at ky and go south. Looks like I'm gonna have to do some researching...
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    I just went to lakemasters website and there are quite a few versions available, seems a bit confusing. The issue I think I may have is that I fish both ky and Indiana regularly and their cards stop at ky and go south. Looks like I'm gonna have to do some researching...
    Lakemaster has regional cards.

There are three for each region:
    Lakemaster is just contour maps
    Lakemaster Plus is contour map with satellite overlay for HD waters.
    Lakemaster SmartStrike is contour maps with fish location prediction software for HD waters.
    The contour maps are the same for the three products.

The version number shown is how many years that particular product has been on the market. They can be different version numbers for the same year/region for the three types.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    You're going to need both.
    Joey Aderhold

11. Member
    I noticed they have a great lakes which includes mi/in/oh/ky , if that's the case then I'll ask santa for the lakemaster smartstrike in that region.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

Chartselect may be an option, depending on how many lakes you fish.

https://chartselect.humminbird.com/chartselect

13. Dogfish_Jones
    I have used both and both are good but just prefer Lakemaster

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdgrills View Post
    Chartselect may be an option, depending on how many lakes you fish.

https://chartselect.humminbird.com/chartselect

OP this may be of most help to you. I used this site to download HD maps of lakes I frequent. If you but the regional chip you will likely have a ton of contour maps of lakes you'll never fish. You have to balance that against paying $29.99 or more (plus the 32GB SD card) for an individual lake. But buying and downloading individually off Chartselect is worth it if you only want one or a few lakes. Same exact contour map with all Humminbird settings (water level highlight, shallow water highlight etc).

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    OP this may be of most help to you. I used this site to download HD maps of lakes I frequent. If you but the regional chip you will likely have a ton of contour maps of lakes you'll never fish. You have to balance that against paying $29.99 or more (plus the 32GB SD card) for an individual lake. But buying and downloading individually off Chartselect is worth it if you only want one or a few lakes. Same exact contour map with all Humminbird settings (water level highlight, shallow water highlight etc).
    Agree with this. Just a note in my case. I have been using a pretty up to date Navionics card for local lakes because in the past the Lakemaster card didn't have HD maps for them. Then I saw I could download just one LakeMaster lake for one of the lakes and I did to compare with the Navionics. I do like some of the features of the Lakemaster since it is geared to my HB unit but overall it's not anymore helpful than the Navionics but it was nice that I had the option to just get the lake(s) that I wanted.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

16. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I've got both Navionics and Lakemaster cards. The Lakemaster card has a lot more info on the map. Almost too much when navigating on a lake you are unfamiliar with. It makes it hard to see where marker bouys are supposed to be so you can stay in the channels. I noticed this on Kentucky Lake. So I use a Navionics in my console gps and the Lakemaster in my front gps/depthfinder. I only have 800 series Hummingbirds, so my screens are small, that may be the reason the Lakemaster looks cluttered.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

17. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Also if you buy a map from ChartSelect, you get free updates for the map for one year and you can also download the map into the Fishsmart app so you can also look at it on your phone or tablet.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Also if you buy a map from ChartSelect, you get free updates for the map for one year and you can also download the map into the Fishsmart app so you can also look at it on your phone or tablet.
    You just created a question I have now. I just downloaded a Lake Cumberland in HD off charselect onto a 32GB sd card. Everything is fine and dandy now. So 1. How do I know if a better HD map of the lake comes out? and 2. how would I get it updated on that same SD card? Do you erase old and download new version?