Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Looks great! Tomorrow should be good boating weather.

Did my first two hours of break in today. Glad I got that behind me a lot of riding to get it out of the way.

My boat appears to be severely under propped. I mentioned that to the dealer when I picked it up.

Currently with a 175 Pro Xs and no Jack plate, I have a 21 tempest plus. I was able to spin it well over 6,000 rpms. I was only getting about 50 mph at full trim while holding the throttle back. If I wasn't careful I could over rev up to 6400 or more rpms. I don't know where the rev limiter is on these 4 strokes, but I know I want max of 6000 rpm loaded.

Water temp was 55 degrees, but i think I need at least a 23 Tempest.... any recommendations before I email the dealer?

3. Member
    Rev limiter is 6,000. Is that coming off a smartcraft or analog? Sounds like a prop way to small.

4. Member
    I have a 18TRX with a 200 Merc, (same boat hull) I have a Tempest Plus 23 with all PVS plugs solid. I’m betting that same prop will work for your 175, you may have to take the solid plugs out and leave them open or use half opening. My boat is new, and I have yet to find top end, but I would think a 23 pitch would be good for your rig. Also on the first page of this thread there is somebody using a 23 pitch with the same boat with great results.

Quote Originally Posted by ford4wd08 View Post
    Finally got it home today! My truck decided it was going to have a bad misfire about 10 miles from home, but we made it!

Sadly didn't get it out on the water today, but I've got a buddy lending me his truck tomorrow. I'll get it out and do at least the first two hours of break in.

I'm excited!

Here are some pictures, I'm awful of taking them, but my wife did snap some when I got it home in the driveway.
    Very sharp looking rig congrats man.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Huff189 View Post
    Rev limiter is 6,000. Is that coming off a smartcraft or analog? Sounds like a prop way to small.
    It's analog. The top of the recommended RPM range is 6,000 RPM, but I would assume there is a limiter built it at 6500 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Very sharp looking rig congrats man.
    Thank you, it rides great! Just got to get the prop figured out.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    You need a 23 fury, tempest or tempest+ from what I’ve read in here. I can say that they usually come with a 23 Fury when I look at them in stock at boat dealers. You can break it in, set your ptp and I’m sure you can find a 23 for sale on here at any time then have Mark work it to perfection!

Great looking rig!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    You need a 23 fury, tempest or tempest+ from what I’ve read in here. I can say that they usually come with a 23 Fury when I look at them in stock at boat dealers. You can break it in, set your ptp and I’m sure you can find a 23 for sale on here at any time then have Mark work it to perfection!

Great looking rig!
    I was thinking most came with a fury too. I am ok with the Tempest at the right pitch. The dealer is working with me, they will swap it out, I'll just finish break in and confirm my numbers.

My son and his partner will be fishing their first tournament tomorrow out of our new Triton, we are all excited! I'll try to get some pictures!

Well it was a rough day of fishing, horrible weather for a tournament. Sorry didn't want to take pictures of misery. Lol.

Anyhow I did get a chance to run WOT as the boat is propped now. I was running 56 mph at 6900 rpms (according to an analog tach). I'm not sure I believe the tach, but I'm sure it is over the reccomended 6000 rpm. I'm going to push the dealer to swap me a 23 tempest. I mean the lower unit has a sticker that says 13 x 24!

Dealer emailed me, new 23 Tempest came in, I'm going to exchange it on Saturday!

Hopefully I'll get a chance to get out and run it this weekend!

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

13. Member
    Looking forward to hearing the results. Are you going to use the solid plugs? I have solid plugs in mine, and with a 200 horse I don’t think I can hit 6000 RPMs. Probably can get 5850 rpm’s once I learn to drive it. So far I’ve been top speed of 68.5 miles an hour and I’m guessing around 5700 rpm’s. I am 2.25” PTP. Raising the prop really helped with the chine walk on my boat. I’m pretty sure my boat will hit 70 miles an hour, so I think the 23 Tempest plus is the right prop for my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    Looking forward to hearing the results. Are you going to use the solid plugs? I have solid plugs in mine, and with a 200 horse I don’t think I can hit 6000 RPMs. Probably can get 5850 rpm’s once I learn to drive it. So far I’ve been top speed of 68.5 miles an hour and I’m guessing around 5700 rpm’s. I am 2.25” PTP. Raising the prop really helped with the chine walk on my boat. I’m pretty sure my boat will hit 70 miles an hour, so I think the 23 Tempest plus is the right prop for my boat.

Plugs shouldn't make a difference on the top RPMs you can spin. Different plugs help with venting on hole shot. I'm not sure what the 21 Tempest has it in now, but I'm sure I'll use the same ones.

And I would be shocked if you can't reach 6000 rpms with the v8. You just have to push the throttle and let her go!

2019 Triton 189 TRX

15. Member
    I q
    Quote Originally Posted by ford4wd08 View Post
    Plugs shouldn't make a difference on the top RPMs you can spin. Different plugs help with venting on hole shot. I'm not sure what the 21 Tempest has it in now, but I'm sure I'll use the same ones.

And I would be shocked if you can't reach 6000 rpms with the v8. You just have to push the throttle and let her go!
    Educate me on those plugs. Right now out of the hole I have to feather my hot foot or it will spin, it doesn’t take long to bite so it doesn’t really bother me, but if I could get rid of that spin without feathering the hot foot that would be great. I’m guessing I’ll probably have to lower my motor a bit.....not sure if opening up one of those vent holes would help or not? You’re probably right about reaching 6000 RPMs, I’ve learned to control the boat up to 66 or 67 miles an hour, fastest I’ve had to 68.5 but I start losing to chine walk at that point. I guess I’m not sure how much is left.

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I q

Educate me on those plugs. Right now out of the hole I have to feather my hot foot or it will spin, it doesn’t take long to bite so it doesn’t really bother me, but if I could get rid of that spin without feathering the hot foot that would be great. I’m guessing I’ll probably have to lower my motor a bit.....not sure if opening up one of those vent holes would help or not? You’re probably right about reaching 6000 RPMs, I’ve learned to control the boat up to 66 or 67 miles an hour, fastest I’ve had to 68.5 but I start losing to chine walk at that point. I guess I’m not sure how much is left.
    With a 2 stroke engine, you basically have to rev the engine higher to build torque that you might see out a 4 stroke at the lower RPM. That is not a hard fast rule on everything, but generally you need venting on hole shot for the 2 stroke engine, especially the bigger the prop you are running.

In your case, I'm new to Triton's, but with what you describe and a 200 v8, I would think you need solid plugs and I would lower your PTP to at least 3" below, maybe 3.5" below. With a 6" jack plate, I would think you could run a 24 tempest at least. I think your prop will hook up properly on hole shot with lower motor height.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

Figured this would be a good a place as any to post some boat pics so Darryl can make me up some registration numbers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2019 Triton 189 TRX

18. Member
    Nice! Like the color combo. The smell of that new glass....intoxicating, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by eriedude View Post
    Nice! Like the color combo. The smell of that new glass....intoxicating, lol.
    Everytime I open the bilge I smell the glass and resin. Better than new car smell!!

2019 Triton 189 TRX

20. Member
    Did you get your new prop yet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast