Prop Shaft Seal Replacement

I've got a little leak coming from behind the prop when the motor is trimmed all the way down and sits for an extended period, so it looks like I'm going to need to change out the prop shaft seals. 175 XRI, serial is in my signature. Just want to be sure I'm getting the right part. Parts catalog shows 26-89238A2 as the seal kit for my motor. Anything else I need to grab, or anything else I should take care of in the process of doing this?

Thanks!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

2. Member
    seal installation tool would be nice to have if ya don't have one #31108
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do you have the bearing carrier wrench?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    What’s the part # for the bearing carrier wrench?
    Allison XB 2002, 2.5 280

5. Member
    I think it is called "the cover nut removal tool". Which one depends on the lower unit. This will most likely be the most expensive thing you have to buy. Not a hard job. The seal installation mandrel is pretty cheap, maybe 25-30 bucks if I recall. But the other tool is in the $130 range IIRC.

Good thing is, you only have to buy those once.

You will need a good torque wrench that goes to at least 200 ft-lbs. I think the cover nut tool is ½" which is likely what a torque wrench will be that will reach that setting above.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    61069T (Bearing Carrier Retainer Wrench).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Don, looks like you are correct. I still have my old XR6 (small gear case) tool and the box says "cover nut tool". Circa 1992. I presume they have renamed it since mine (in box) says what you stated...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    seal installation tool would be nice to have if ya don't have one #31108
    Don't have one. Can it be done reasonably easy without?

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Do you have the bearing carrier wrench?
    I do not! Looking at the diagram I was figuring that I could pull it with a normal bearing puller...is that not the case?

Might be getting to the point where it's worth it to pay someone....
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Seal installer/mandrel is used to install the seals at the proper depth, without damaging the seals.

Bearing carrier wrench is an inside spanner wrench, used to remove the bearing carrier nut (and properly re-torque the bearing carrier nut).

You may be able to use a traditional puller to remove the carrier- AFTER you've removed the spanner nut with the correct tool.

We normally do not recommend gearcase repairs for the DIY'er due to the number of special tools (and service techniques) required to properly service. That being said- if you want to proceed, I would HIGHLY recommend you commit to doing the job right the first time (or it's likely to cost you in the long run).

10. Member
    Probably should invest in the Mercury service manual for your motor also. I believe it has the instructions on said procedure including tool list.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

11. Member
    If ur very careful and decent with ur tools. I changed my propshaft seals by just taking prop off. Cant scar shaft tho. Mine worked out just fine. no leaks. Reason I had to change cause got rope caught behind prop and ruined seal

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not something I recommend- as it's very easy to scar the shaft and very difficult to make sure the seals are seated at the precise/correct depth.

Appreciate the advice. By the time I buy the tools I'll have more into it than just paying someone, and this is something I hope not to have to do again for some time. Thanks, gents!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"