Force trolling motor update

I posted this reply to a specific point in the Sticky about future software updates. Jeremy thought it would be a good idea to also post as a separate thread.

Force trolling motor update went live a few days ago on ActiveCaptain.

Several minor remote improvements
    A change in the remote UI that allows either showing battery icon (red, yellow, green) or battery voltage. (Menu > Settings > Trolling Motor > Battery)
    A change in the remote UI that displays distance and bearing to the anchor point when in anchor lock.
    A change to allow the boat to remain in anchor lock after a device has disconnected if the unit was in anchor lock prior to the device disconnecting.

To update:

Connect ActiveCaptain to trolling motor (use the remote to set Wi-Fi to “ActiveCaptain” and make up name and password (Menu > Settings > Trolling Motor > Wi-Fi))
    Connect ActiveCaptain to the web and download the update (will be v2.30 for trolling motor)
    Connect ActiveCaptain back to the trolling motor. The update should push automatically to the trolling motor. This could take up to 30min.
    Once the update is finished pushing from the phone, reboot the trolling motor. Approximately 30 seconds after reboot the speed lights should start alternatively blinking. This means the trolling motor is updating.
    Once the trolling motor has completed updating, ensure the remote is on and connected. When it detects the remote needs to be updated, the trolling motor will start blinking its speed lights again, and the remote will show a 30 second countdown. At the end of the countdown the remote will reboot and show a gear icon, indicating it is updating. The update on the remote will take ~5min. If the update was successful the remote will be on v2.20.
    Garmin Pro Team

2. Member
    This makes me SO happy! These are the some of the main complaints I had with the TM, I'm very excited to try it out this weekend! Anything on this update for an arrival mode?

3. Member
    Just got everything updated. Really anxious to try it out. The existing Turbo feature is really a blast for targetting roving spotted bass. I regularly see them 80-100 ft away on LiveScope, hit Turbo and get within range, then cast into them. I'm really getting into this bass fishing. Seems like these roving schools of spotted bass always want to bite.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Just got everything updated. Really anxious to try it out. The existing Turbo feature is really a blast for targetting roving spotted bass. I regularly see them 80-100 ft away on LiveScope, hit Turbo and get within range, then cast into them. I'm really getting into this bass fishing. Seems like these roving schools of spotted bass always want to bite.
    TURBO feature?? I haven't found that yet
    2022 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Proxs

5. Member
    The turbo feature is for quick WOT-max speed. You press the Turbo symbol and then the Prop symbol and hold on. If you have a fishing partner in the back of the boat, I'd warn them. It's really helpful for this tactical fishing with LiveScope for roving schools of spotted bass and white bass. They tend to be moving through the water pretty fast. Turbo will get them though. What I do is set the speed to 3 for normal use. Then, when I pan around and see one of these schools out like 80-100 ft away on LiveScope, I hit Turbo to close the distance. I am deadly casting 60 ft, so I want to be that close. I use a spoon so usually I can see it on the screen too as it drops in them. It's wild. You just need to catch one. The whole bunch will usually follow that one to the boat. The problem comes with getting that one off the hook in time to get another one before they head back out. The Turbo symbol looks like the tire pressure symbol on my car with three short horizontal lines to the left. It's on the MFD Force overlay and on the Remote. Having it set to 3 when I hit Turbo, it returns to 3 when I cancel it. If you want to make the most of it, when you catch one, have your buddy wait until you are ready to boat yours before they pitch. Then while you are getting yours off the hook your buddy can fight one and keep the school at the boat.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 11-08-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    I posted this reply to a specific point in the Sticky about future software updates. Jeremy thought it would be a good idea to also post as a separate thread.

Force trolling motor update went live a few days ago on ActiveCaptain.

Several minor remote improvements
    A change in the remote UI that allows either showing battery icon (red, yellow, green) or battery voltage. (Menu > Settings > Trolling Motor > Battery)
    A change in the remote UI that displays distance and bearing to the anchor point when in anchor lock.
    A change to allow the boat to remain in anchor lock after a device has disconnected if the unit was in anchor lock prior to the device disconnecting.

To update:

Connect ActiveCaptain to trolling motor (use the remote to set Wi-Fi to “ActiveCaptain” and make up name and password (Menu > Settings > Trolling Motor > Wi-Fi))
    Connect ActiveCaptain to the web and download the update (will be v2.30 for trolling motor)
    Connect ActiveCaptain back to the trolling motor. The update should push automatically to the trolling motor. This could take up to 30min.
    Once the update is finished pushing from the phone, reboot the trolling motor. Approximately 30 seconds after reboot the speed lights should start alternatively blinking. This means the trolling motor is updating.
    Once the trolling motor has completed updating, ensure the remote is on and connected. When it detects the remote needs to be updated, the trolling motor will start blinking its speed lights again, and the remote will show a 30 second countdown. At the end of the countdown the remote will reboot and show a gear icon, indicating it is updating. The update on the remote will take ~5min. If the update was successful the remote will be on v2.20.

uhm yea...gonna need a youtube video on this install...that would be great thanks

7. Member
    Todd, for this one: “A change to allow the boat to remain in anchor lock after a device has disconnected if the unit was in anchor lock prior to the device disconnecting.” does it refer to ANY ONE of the connected devices (chart plotter, remote , pedal)? Thanks !

8. Member
    Basically what that is for is if you put the motor on anchor lock by the dock, go get your tow vehicle and your remote gets out of range (disconnected) the motor will remain in anchor lock till you get back in range and take it off.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    Todd, for this one: “A change to allow the boat to remain in anchor lock after a device has disconnected if the unit was in anchor lock prior to the device disconnecting.” does it refer to ANY ONE of the connected devices (chart plotter, remote , pedal)? Thanks !
    yes applies to all connected devices
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Member
    Thanks! This is very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    yes applies to all connected devices