Question Question: Upgrading Drag Washers

Would upgrading drag washers to Cabontex drag washers increase drag lb? What are the benefits? Looking for a little more umph and thought this may be an option.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Depending on the reel, I think they should. I changed out the originals on an old Curado greenie that I still "game" for jerkbaits as it was slipping a little too easy and caused me to lose some fish that were able to get buried into weeds. It made the difference, I can crank it down so tight that I can't pull line out now...not that I want to, but it's nice to have the adjustability.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Shimano SLX XT Love the reel. Super smooth, even drag. But I feel it's not as beefy as I'd like it to be. Despite that, going to slowly convert over to them. Awesome little reel.

4. Member
    I would try to clean the drag stack before upgrading. Reels generally come over greased in the drag stack area and running them more dry will help out. But..CF drags are a super cheap upgrade and it's more often than not worth it.

5. Member
    Carbontex usually adds a pound or two of drag pressure and makes the drags operate more smooth without jerkiness. Depending on the reel and stock drag an upgrade may or may not be needed. I upgrade mine on all my Pixy and TDZ reels.

6. Member
    Thanks for that info guys. Do you typically add Cals drag grease to the carbontex washers? I've never used drag grease before.

7. Member
    You can put a small dab of grease or run them dry. If you use grease you want a very light film. Almost like a fingerprint. Put a small dab the size of pin head on your thumb and rub it with your pointer finger to get a thin film and then apply it to the carbon washer.

8. Member
    I have always read that they do not increase the drag, but do make the drag far more efficient. Hope Reelex chimes in on this.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    Thanks for that info guys. Do you typically add Cals drag grease to the carbontex washers? I've never used drag grease before.
    You can if you want add the smallest amount. I run them dry.