Going to a 4 Stroke (175 Pro Xs)

Hello all, I'm new to the Mercury World. I've owned a Yamaha 50 horse and most recently a OMC Johnson 150 Looper V6.

Now that my son is getting into middle school fishing, I decided it was time to move from our family fish and ski to a dedicated bass boat.

Today I made the deal on a leftover 2019 Trtion 189 TRX with the 175 ProXs 4 stroke (SN 2B597933)

I'm excited, I've never owned a 4 stroke or a new boat for that matter!

Any tips for this new motor? Maintenance appears to be a breeze?

I know there is a break in procedure and I will follow it to a T.

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Take a look at the Break-In Recommendations in the FAQ Section under V6/V8 models. Good information there to compliment your Engine Owner's Manual.

Might check with your dealer about Service Bulletin 2019-010.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Take a look at the Break-In Recommendations in the FAQ Section under V6/V8 models. Good information there to compliment your Engine Owner's Manual.

Might check with your dealer about Service Bulletin 2019-010.
    Hi Don, thank you for the information. I have been browsing the FAQ's. Great information!

I will ask the dealer about the service bulletin.

The search feature on Mercury's parts website for service bulletins is a nice feature! I just emailed the dealer 4 of them that were listed under the motor SN to be checked in their final dealer prep.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    2019-10 is the only one outstanding (that applies to 2B597933). While it is nice that consumers can find the bulletins in the later Parts Catalog, there are many bulletins that appear which are not necessarily applicable to your serial number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2019-10 is the only one outstanding (that applies to 2B597933). While it is nice that consumers can find the bulletins in the later Parts Catalog, there are many bulletins that appear which are not necessarily applicable to your serial number.
    Understood. Thank you for the information.

Don,

Can you tell me the rev limiter on this engine? I know the max rpm for propping purposes is supposed to be 6,000 rpm. I believe my new rig is way under propped.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Recommended maximum RPM's is indeed 6000 RPM's. The RPM limits on these engines should not be viewed as a "fixed number" as the PCM may limit RPM's earlier, based on a number of conditions (including LOAD, and the speed at which the engine RPM's are spooling up).

To be able to spin 6000 (recommend a Smartcraft Instrument, as Analog Gauges are notoriously inaccurate), you have to approach the RPM range gradually.

Recommended maximum RPM's is indeed 6000 RPM's. The RPM limits on these engines should not be viewed as a "fixed number" as the PCM may limit RPM's earlier, based on a number of conditions (including LOAD, and the speed at which the engine RPM's are spooling up).

To be able to spin 6000 (recommend a Smartcraft Instrument, as Analog Gauges are notoriously inaccurate), you have to approach the RPM range gradually.
    My plan is to get vessel view on my phone at some point....

Thanks for the great advice as usual!

Just ordered my Vessel View Mobile from European Marine, fast transaction and great to deal with!

I understand they are on back order, but I'll be excited when it gets here!