Man made structure/habitat

Just wondering if anybody knew if it’s illegal to place man made structure or habitat in public waters here in Michigan? I have a lake around me that has smallmouth but the lake (like most in Michigan) is basically a bowl, so I was thinking about maybe placing some structure around the lake, or even dropping large rocks in if only natural objects were allowed.

Thanks in advance!

2. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Pretty sure you will have to have a permit to do it legal.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

3. Member
    That’s what I was afraid of. Obviously either way I’m going to check with a C/O just to be sure.

Good idea. I believe Tim is correct.

5. Member
    I emailed a C/O in my district last week and haven’t heard anything back. I know this time of the year is very busy for them. Do any of you have an email for someone I could try?

6. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerTim619 View Post
    Pretty sure you will have to have a permit to do it legal.
    It is the strangest thing. I take 1/2 cement blocks for a boat ride at night. For some reason they jump off the side of the boat. Luckily the small mouth like to use them for spawning habitat. I would imagine fish attractors would do the same thing.

7. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Night time is the right time
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

8. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerTim619 View Post
    Night time is the right time
    Always have your GPS to mark MOB points.

9. Member
    Lol I thought about that last night. I’d be ok doing that on the private lake I live on, pretty sure the association wouldn’t mind anyways. The particular lake I want to do it on is real small, probably 100 acres? The flats are real small and close to the shore. It’s one of those lakes (like most in Michigan) where the houses are crammed in like sardines. So highly probable someone would see me, and of course nobody would have a clue what the hell I'm doing so they for sure would assume I’m dumping a body.

I spoke to DNR several years ago about this topic. Permits were at the time, $100 each, and you had to provide exact GPS coordinates on the application for where the structure would be placed. At the end of the conversation, the gal from the DNR said, "or you could just be like everyone else and place your attractors at night.."

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foulhook3 View Post
    I spoke to DNR several years ago about this topic. Permits were at the time, $100 each, and you had to provide exact GPS coordinates on the application for where the structure would be placed. At the end of the conversation, the gal from the DNR said, "or you could just be like everyone else and place your attractors at night.."
    Well it sounds l like I have my answer. Lol

12. Member
    Just an update, I just received an email from a local C/O and like most of you stated a permit is needed.

Odds are you will have more issues with the HOA then the DNR

Most HOA will require meetings and discussions and you bet there is always that one person that is absolutely opposed to this because they think fishing is inhuman and doesn’t want to see people fishing especially in front of their house

Tie it to the side of the boat idle out at night and drop it
    "The handicapped angler"

15. Member
    Now would be the best time to do it. A lot of the houses are cottages and closed up for the winter.