Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have a NRX 852,874 and the 7’6 steez. With that said,I like my conquest 902 for Ned’s.

2. Member
    The best Ned rod I ever had was a St Croix Eyecon series 6ft 6 ML. I use a Whipsnake now and catch the same fish as I would have on the Eyecon.
    They get it it on the drop so much I think it's one of those techniques where it's the indian more than the arrow.

Well you have to look at the OP's requirements, maybe using the term "Ned spinning rod" was not the best way to describe what he is looking for. I believe (and OP correct me if I am wrong) that he is looking for a set up that will throw small baits a long ways and wants to be able to feel what is going on with those baits as he drags them over bottom structure.

4. Member
    Not a "high end" rod, but I use a 13 Fishing Muse Gold and have been very happy with it for ned rigs.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

5. Member
    I think the legend elite 76ml is your rod
    Nitro z21

6. Member
    I am a Loomis guy but I do have a couple Daiwas. The 7'6" Daiwa Steez mml is one sweet rod. I also have the 7'6" in the Tatula elite AGS, and would personally recommend the steez over the Tatula. I am close to you, if your ever interested in comparing or checking out the rods let me know.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    I think the legend elite 76ml is your rod
    Good taste sir.
    In Fisherman Midwest Finesse
    American Legacy Fishing Company
    Costa
    Jackson Kayak
    Nikko
    Pro Cure
    Rapala
    Simms

I've fished the St. Croix Legend Elite 7'6" M and 7'6" ML - I really like the blank, guides, and overall performance but the reel seat is extremely uncomfortable in my hands. I've tried to make myself get used to it, but I can't. Hopefully when they change the series, they will find a less problematic reel seat.

9. Member
    Understood sir. The heel of my hand is on the fore grip, blank cradled on my index and middle finger, thumb extended straight on the blank. That’s how I’ve always held a spinning rod going back forty years to Tennessee handles with reels taped where blank met cork in those days.

I entirely understand your sentiments if gripped as intended that it may not be for everyone. I’ve passed on to them what I would like to see. I’m an absolute stickler on my spin rods. We’ll see.
    Costa
    Jackson Kayak
    Nikko
    Pro Cure
    Rapala
    Simms

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I've fished the St. Croix Legend Elite 7'6" M and 7'6" ML - I really like the blank, guides, and overall performance but the reel seat is extremely uncomfortable in my hands. I've tried to make myself get used to it, but I can't. Hopefully when they change the series, they will find a less problematic reel seat.
    I agree 100%. The extreme is a much more comfortable to me

I got a NRX 901 ordered, it should be here this week, If I'm correct I bet it will make one hell of a ned rig rod...

12. Member
    If you research the development of the ned rig you will see that it was never intended for longer rods. I bought a 3 power Dobyns xtasy 7'2" as my ultimate ned rig rod. It wasn't close to my 6'9" St Croix ML Avid. If you want cast ability don't use micro guide go with a little larger diameter guides.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    If you research the development of the ned rig you will see that it was never intended for longer rods.
    Yes of course. Ned’s original rods (the Stingers) most like the 6400 IMX Loomis, Brewer Slider rods and Mr. Westmorelands Tennessee handled renditions.

A couple of pieces that I contributed to:

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editori...-update/155864

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editori...-update/156296

Been there done that with these rigs. I’ve come full circle and am done looking. My friend Ned cuts me some slack having gone back to longer rods given that I’m a river guy.

No right or wrongs. Use what you like. It’s been a fun ride.

Good fishing, Travis
    Costa
    Jackson Kayak
    Nikko
    Pro Cure
    Rapala
    Simms

14. Member
    i really love using the st croix legend elite rods for ned rigs because they have that soft tip. my two favorites are the 7'6 ml and the 7'ml they are two of my favorite spinning rods for ned rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisM View Post
    Yes of course. Ned’s original rods (the Stingers) most like the 6400 IMX Loomis, Brewer Slider rods and Mr. Westmorelands Tennessee handled renditions.

A couple of pieces that I contributed to:

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editori...-update/155864

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editori...-update/156296

Been there done that with these rigs. I’ve come full circle and am done looking. My friend Ned cuts me some slack having gone back to longer rods given that I’m a river guy.

No right or wrongs. Use what you like. It’s been a fun ride.

Good fishing, Travis
    My NRX 901 is in that second link :)
    But what do you mean by long rod?

Its weird, each year my spinning rods get longer and longer, 7'6" is just an amazing length to fish on a spinning rod.

I also fish a lot of rivers....

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    My NRX 901 is in that second link :)
    But what do you mean by long rod?

Its weird, each year my spinning rods get longer and longer, 7'6" is just an amazing length to fish on a spinning rod.

I also fish a lot of rivers....
    7’6” Croix for me sir. Ned and I greatly differ with that choice of length but he knows why I do it.

For bomb casting the “little rigs” out of the spook zone in crystal clear river water to big smallies. Moving those rigs up and over bottom substrate (lead eating boulders) without dragging through crevices and getting wedged as often. In and out of current seams from a distance. Soft tip for imparting a quiver “pulse” into the offering without moving the bait forward...especially in sub 40 degree water. All three of my “Ned” rods are that length. Profile of the offering (drop rate) and lead are the only differences.

Enjoy that that new stick sir.

Sorry to derail the thread with my “Ned” ramblings.
    Costa
    Jackson Kayak
    Nikko
    Pro Cure
    Rapala
    Simms

17. Member
    I picked up an irod G2 Ultra Finesse 731 for this. It's a great dropshot rod but a fantastic longer ned rig rod. It's a moderate fast rod, so it has a ton of give for fishing the ned on really light line.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

18. Member
    I fish NRX. I fished the 822dsr. And 822syr. When I tried the 872s I was blown away. The rod is 2 power so it has a soft tip but it loads up in the top end of the rod. It is super fast. But it has so much backbone. I have three of them with stella 3000 reels.
    8lb Berkely fireline and 8lb sunline shooter leader.
    casts a 1/8 oz weight so far with ease.
    Awesome rods!

I got my 901 and chucked a few ned rigs yesterday, it worked fantastic, I also used it for spybaits, spoons and small jerkbaits just to put it though some paces and what I found was on the drop
    with a ned and a spoon I could feel fish hitting my lure on the drop.....love it.

I also would say the NRX 901 is more of a fast action vs extra fast, it loads deep.

20. Member
    ttt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast