Leveling wedge reviews?

I've been eyeballing those leveling wedges for Ultrex/fortrex trolling motors that have been for sale on here and on Facebook. I'm pretty skeptical if they are worth the money. Anybody install one and have a review?
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

2. Member
    I installed one on my Ultrex. Are they worth the money? I'd be the first to tell you $205.00 is pretty dang steep for them, IMO. Then you have to look at the fact that "if Walmart sold them, they'd be a lot cheaper". Meaning that they have to be specially made and I know only one guy that makes them. So it depends on how important it is to you to have your TM level on your bow. It helps a lot but it is not as flat as the former MG motor I had on the boat. My cover fits better but again, not as good as it did with the MG motor. I believe when you order a cover for a boat with a MK they add some material for the MK Vs the MG.

Supply vs demand. The way things go in a capitalistic society. If you want it, you gotta pay for it!

3. Member
    duracraftman, if you’d like to send me a text message I’ll be glad to answer any questions you may have bud. I have a lot of customer photos as well I can send. I have a very large following on the Triton Owners Page on Facebook as well. Feel free to go to that page and ask this same question. I would say you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the input you would receive. If I can do anything at all please let me know. 931-628-1831

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I installed one on my Ultrex. Are they worth the money? I'd be the first to tell you $205.00 is pretty dang steep for them, IMO. Then you have to look at the fact that "if Walmart sold them, they'd be a lot cheaper". Meaning that they have to be specially made and I know only one guy that makes them. So it depends on how important it is to you to have your TM level on your bow. It helps a lot but it is not as flat as the former MG motor I had on the boat. My cover fits better but again, not as good as it did with the MG motor. I believe when you order a cover for a boat with a MK they add some material for the MK Vs the MG.

Supply vs demand. The way things go in a capitalistic society. If you want it, you gotta pay for it!
    Im waiting until i get my boat on the water before i do anything myself. I have seen pics of tritons with the trolling motor pretty level without the wedges and some severely downhill so ill decide when i see for myself. Like you i was pretty shocked by the price when i inquired. Granted the starboard material isnt the cheapest but man it seems like alot. I have the means to make one myself so i likely will if necessary after looking closely at pics of what it is.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

5. Member
    I’m pleased with mine, I needed it for my live scope to be level when rotating trolling motor. Only problem is I have 52” ultrex and the mount will not latch down because it would hit the top of the hull due to the angle the mount is at after installing the wedge. So I had to buy a th marine troll tamer so my trolling motor wouldn’t be bouncing around.

Live scope corrects angle faster than you can steer or faster than waves rock the boat. Just saying
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    I installed AshmoreMarine's wedge and it works great with my Ultrex. This weekend I fished up to 45' and my dropshot was in the cone for all depths even when the Ultrex was in spot lock and the head turned. More than met my expectations.
    2008 Triton TR200 - Merc 250 ProXS - Humminbird 1197 & 1198 - Dual power poles

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Im waiting until i get my boat on the water before i do anything myself. I have seen pics of tritons with the trolling motor pretty level without the wedges and some severely downhill so ill decide when i see for myself. Like you i was pretty shocked by the price when i inquired. Granted the starboard material isnt the cheapest but man it seems like alot. I have the means to make one myself so i likely will if necessary after looking closely at pics of what it is.
    I have the same boat as you, I don’t have any problem with my Ultrex. It probably has a lot to do with the type of fishing you do. I use my built in transducer on my Ultrex looking for fish in deeper water and on structure and it works fine, otherwise I mostly fish in shallows casting into the weeds, I’ve never had an issue with it ever.

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I have the same boat as you, I don’t have any problem with my Ultrex. It probably has a lot to do with the type of fishing you do. I use my built in transducer on my Ultrex looking for fish in deeper water and on structure and it works fine, otherwise I mostly fish in shallows casting into the weeds, I’ve never had an issue with it ever.
    Thats good to know. Im hoping i wont have to do anything with it. Are you running just a DI bow unit? Im gonna run a helix 10 SI so im not using the built in transducer on mine.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Thats good to know. Im hoping i wont have to do anything with it. Are you running just a DI bow unit? Im gonna run a helix 10 SI so im not using the built in transducer on mine.
    I have a Helix 7 with built in mega down transducer in Ultrex.

11. Member
    Can't you just put a shim under the front of the trolling motor bracket to raise it up.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Can't you just put a shim under the front of the trolling motor bracket to raise it up.
    You can but full supporting the aluminum frame with a full length wedge significantly decreases the chance that you will cause issues that put the mount in a bind when tightening everything down.

13. Member
    What type faster are you using that does that. I have an older TR 21 that uses the rubber washers under it and has never had solid support under the frame and it's never failed.

14. Member
    Md mine is straight on the hard rubber material on my 21x2. I’m sure shins would be fine as long as you’re careful not too o get the middle ones too high or too low, or have it off left to right, ie in a way that you could significantly stress the frame when tightening. I says this because I know of others that have had the rubber washers deteriorate at different rates and they end up tightening to take up the slack and have put their mounts in such severe binds they won’t open and close correctly.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Live scope corrects angle faster than you can steer or faster than waves rock the boat. Just saying
    how does it automatically correct angle?? Before I put wedge on I was at st Clair and when I turned trolling motor head backwards I would lose my bait. After putting wedge on I could see my bait even when it was behind the boat.