Wicked Custom Rods out of NH

I'll get this right out of the way, I'm not getting paid or anything to for making or posting this video. And I debated even posting it here because I don't want to give off that impression, but I thought maybe someone here would find the information helpful in getting some custom rods, and it's a New Hampshire based business too.

I started talking with Will, the owner of Wicked Custom Rods, about a year ago. Just about fishing stuff in general, he jumped back into bass fishing heavy several years ago after spending a long time chasing trout. Really nice guy, and he makes some incredible looking rods. When I went out on that St Lawrence trip for a week, he asked if I could field test three rods while I was out there in hopes of putting them through a vigorous workout with some smallies...the emphasis is on "some" here, as that trip didn't go as great as I hoped. Also got to use them for a few more weeks back at home. I was, and still am, really impressed with the build quality of these rods. Dude knows what he's doing with these. Fit and finish is better than any off the shelf rod I've used so far (though my budget hasn't exceeded $220 on a rod yet for anything I've bought in the past). I know sensitivity is mostly established by the rod blank and guides he uses, but still, the components he used on these three rods and the overall sensitivity on them was better than any other rod I've used prior to this. Sharp looking rods that perform incredible. So, I wanted to do what I could to help get his name out there as he's relatively new to the scene of building rods, he's just a damn nice dude that loves what he does, he makes great rods, and he's a NH based company. Also makes ice rods and surf casting rods too.

If you're interested in hearing my thoughts on the rods, give the video a watch. I basically elaborate on what I said above, but also go over the specs for all three rods as well. His website is very easy to find, I'll refrain from posting it for now just in case it could be breaking any rules.

Sean, what type of graphite is MHX? Never heard of it. Nice looking rods. Price? Warranty?

I ask because I bought a FX Custom rod this season and he has a lifetime "no questions asked" warranty.
    as long as they stay in business, I have a lifetime warranty.

Thanks AL
    Last edited by Big Al; 11-06-2019 at 05:45 AM.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Sean, what type of graphite is MHX? Never heard of it. Nice looking rods. Price? Warranty?

I ask because I bought a FX Custom rod this season and he has a lifetime "no questions asked" warranty.
    as long as they stay in business, I have a lifetime warranty.

Thanks AL
    The rod blank and the workmanship are warrantied for life, and the components are warrantied for 3 years, but shipping is not covered on warranty claims. Price varies depending on what you want. I know he has a "standard" build he starts with, but works with you directly on what you're looking for out of a rod before everything is finalized.

He uses the MHX Elite X rod blanks for these builds as his starting point. Pulled straight from their site:

The Elite X lineup offers the most advanced rod blanks in the market by incorporating Mitsubishi Rayon 12K High Modulus Fiber of 57 million modulus featuring the tensile strength of over 442 Ksi. Tying these materials together is an innovative Nano Resin System that works to prevent the compression and impact failures that can be common in other manufacturers' high modulus blanks. This cutting edge blank technology allows these new Elite X Blanks to have small diameters and less weight, while drastically increasing both sensitivity and durability like never before. These are truly the most advanced rod blanks you can build on, and when fishing, you will feel the supreme sensitivity and incredible performance of these superior blanks! Platinum Gray Finish

4. Member
    Nano resin is what G Loomis uses in the NRX line?

Thanks Sean
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO