Croxton Razor 4 XL

I have a Phoenix 920 with a Yamaha 250 SHO. The motor has been flashed. I am currently running a 26P Yamaha T2 prop. I just purchased a Razor 4 XL on the props for sale board that I want to try. My question is about the vent holes on the Razor prop. I have had three boats in the last 20 years and they have all had Yamaha motors that ran Yamaha props. None of these props have been vented.

The Razor from what I can tell since I haven't received it yet has 8 vent holes with 4 of them currently plugged. Will I need to plug all of the vent holes? If so I will need to order some plugs as the prop is only coming with 4 plugs. Are all vent holes the same diameter or are there different sizes? I just want to make sure I have everything I need on hand when I test the prop this weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

What propellers did you run on your last Yamaha‘s? I’m pretty sure they were all vented

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    The last two boats had Yamaha T1 props. I dont remember them having vent holes in them. Maybe they did and I just don't remember.

Yes... They have slots, Not holes..

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I plugged the 4 rear holes but determined it was too much strain gaining the RPMS so I pulled them. They are by design and do not appear to have any negative affect top end. On the larger 920 I would leave them all open.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Vent holes never affect top end: plugged, unplugged, or some combination of both. I ran a Razor 4XL for 3 years on two different Z520s with Evinrude engines. The 24 pitch in that prop didn’t really require any pvs hole plugging, but after extensive testing I settled on one solid plug, which on my boat [bigger boat, bigger engine, so maybe not the same dynamics] gave precisely the rpms I wanted at takeoff. It ran fine with 2 solid plugs, and also with zero plugs, but had right at 3900 rpms on takeoff with 1 plug. I had the plugs, so I put one in. If I hadn’t already had the plugs, I wouldn’t have bothered.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Plug them all with the SHO. Just had one on my Skeeter a few weeks ago and spinning it up was not issue with all 8 holes plugged. I’m also flashed as well. What pitch did you get
    2020 Ranger Z520L 250 Pro XS 4

8. Member
    Yatesville I got a 25P. What pitch did you have and how did it run?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullcreek View Post
    Yatesville I got a 25P. What pitch did you have and how did it run?
    I had a 24 and it did ok. Hole shot and Midrange was very good but topend was slower. I really needed a 25P cause I was able to spin the 24 to 6400 RPMS. I had my T1s sent to Mark and they are 10 times better than stock. Best prop Ive found so far for the SHO is the T1 worked by Croxton.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatesville Junkie View Post
    I had a 24 and it did ok. Hole shot and Midrange was very good but topend was slower. I really needed a 25P cause I was able to spin the 24 to 6400 RPMS. I had my T1s sent to Mark and they are 10 times better than stock. Best prop Ive found so far for the SHO is the T1 worked by Croxton.
    what was the top end with the 24
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

12. Member
    Standard pvs plugs, solid will probably work best for you, but play with it a little if you are not getting the rpms you want on holeshot. Ran a 24p 4xl that I just sent back to mark to switch to a 23p to get my wot rpms up. But great prop, awesome holeshot and handling was awesome. Good luck with it!

13. Member
    I have a Phoenix 920 with a Yamaha 250 SHO. The motor has been flashed. I am currently running a 26P Yamaha T2 prop. I just purchased a Razor 4 XL on the props for sale board that I want to try. My question is about the vent holes on the Razor prop. I have had three boats in the last 20 years and they have all had Yamaha motors that ran Yamaha props. None of these props have been vented.

The Razor from what I can tell since I haven't received it yet has 8 vent holes with 4 of them currently plugged. Will I need to plug all of the vent holes? If so I will need to order some plugs as the prop is only coming with 4 plugs. Are all vent holes the same diameter or are there different sizes? I just want to make sure I have everything I need on hand when I test the prop this weekend. Any help would be appreciated.
    Bullcreek,
    I have noticed that many are sharing their experiences, which is very helpful, but my question to you is whether or not have you contacted Mark Croxton about it? since it is his proprietary prop and should be able to resolve any issues based on your current set up. I have found Mark to be very approachable in the past with my prop set up issues.
    Respectfully, just my 2C.

14. Member
    digthemup,
    I did talk to Mark and this is the prop he recommended. Just so happened shortly after I talked to him one came up for sale here on bbc. I specifically didn't ask him about the pvs holes though.

15. Member
    digthemup,
    I did talk to Mark and this is the prop he recommended. Just so happened shortly after I talked to him one came up for sale here on bbc. I specifically didn't ask him about the pvs holes though.
    Reckon it's time for another jingle or email to clarify the PVS set up, since I am sure at some point you will be sending it in for him to work on it for you.
    So, I am sure it all work out for you. My best to you.
    BTW, how do you like that SHO? and what is your experience with it? since that is the direction I will be going next.

Since every boat, motor, gear ratio, jackplate set back, jackplate height, load, elevation, etc are different..... There are no rules of thumb on venting... You need to try it and adjust if need be.

17. Member
    Digthemup,
    I like the SHO. I have had it for a year and it hasn't given me any trouble. This is my third Yamaha but my first SHO. Before this I had a 150ProV for 13 years that was flawless, and 250 HPDI Series 1 for 6 years that was flawless except a bent prop shaft, and now this SHO. Having Hydrotech less than 30 minutes from my house has kept me buying Yamaha. They have always done all of the service on my engines.

18. Member
    Mike,
    Thanks for the help. I plan to take it out this weekend and see how it runs.

19. Member
    Digthemup,
    I like the SHO. I have had it for a year and it hasn't given me any trouble. This is my third Yamaha but my first SHO. Before this I had a 150ProV for 13 years that was flawless, and 250 HPDI Series 1 for 6 years that was flawless except a bent prop shaft, and now this SHO. Having Hydrotech less than 30 minutes from my house has kept me buying Yamaha. They have always done all of the service on my engines.
    Bullcreek,
    I am glad to hear that you have had great experience with HPDI and SHO, which seem due to good maintenance by having a good mechanic nearby. No yammie techs anywhere near me anymore, but was apprehensive going that direction with all the blown powerheads, though these days seems to be common thread to all brands. I had Rudes before they kept blowing up with Fitch, moved to 2000 Yammie 150 OX66, and now '03 Merc 225HP EFI worked. Mark dialed in my props for hot and cool weather, and went with his advice on the PVS set up based on my rig.