Smoking on gas grill

Any suggestions for trying to smoke using a gas grill? Can it be done?

2. Member
    Sure, get a smoke tube off amazon

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

I do it all the time. I have a smoker box that I put the wood chips in that I place on the lit burner. I light the front burner only and put the meat on the raised back rack. I'll put some foil underneath the meat on the grill the drippings don't collect in the pan. If you don't do this the next time you fire up the grill you may have a fire.

4. Member
    Yup smoke tube on Amazon.

5. Member
    Do smoke tubes use chips or pellets?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    Sure, get a smoke tube off amazon
    +1. I also have used disposable aluminum pans with chips in them and covered with foil with some holes poked in it. Works great.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRN III View Post
    Do smoke tubes use chips or pellets?
    Either. You can get bags as small as 5lbs at any Academy sports. My local grocery store even carries them. A-Maze-N Tube this one would be my pick.
    Last edited by SteveDyer; 11-06-2019 at 07:06 AM.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

8. Member
    Once filled, is the tube ignited by the gas burners?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRN III View Post
    Once filled, is the tube ignited by the gas burners?
    No, you just use a torch to light the pellets and they will smolder and produce smoke
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

10. Member
    A-maze-n smoker

https://amazenproducts.com/

I have the 5x8 I used to use a lot. The tube's came out right after I got mine.

These days I smoke on a Traeger, but SOMETIMES I add the A-maze-N for an extra deep smoke ring.

You can also use the pellet smoker products to cold smoke. Especially this time of year, cheeses, salmon etc.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

11. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    If you don't have a smoke tube, you can use aluminum foil. Put wood chips in it fold it over loosely and poke a small hole on top, set it over a burner with the meat over burners not turned on. Pretty basic but works in a pinch when you don't have anything else
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

12. Member
    I'm interested in trying the smoke tube in my gas grill. Perhaps those of you who use this accessory can answer a question for me. When you use the tube are you slow cooking the meat at a low temp on your gas grill or are you cooking the meat at the regular cooking temp for what ever meat you are cooking? Do you find you are getting enough smoke with one tube or are some of you using 2 tubes while you cook? Thanks

13. Member
    I know this is a little bit late, but when I use the smoke tube in my gas grill I try to keep the temp around 225° while cooking ribs. I only use one tube, but it is the one that extends and smokes a little longer. I have found they do not smoke as long as they advertise, probably about 75% of what they advertised in my experience. I also have a regular smoker, and this does a fair job but it does not replace a regular smoker. it works in a pinch, adds some smoke flavor pretty easy to things like burgers and Brats and such, but it does not replace a regular smoker in my opinion....hope this helps.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I know this is a little bit late, but when I use the smoke tube in my gas grill I try to keep the temp around 225° while cooking ribs. I only use one tube, but it is the one that extends and smokes a little longer. I have found they do not smoke as long as they advertise, probably about 75% of what they advertised in my experience. I also have a regular smoker, and this does a fair job but it does not replace a regular smoker. it works in a pinch, adds some smoke flavor pretty easy to things like burgers and Brats and such, but it does not replace a regular smoker in my opinion....hope this helps.
    Thanks for the response and yes it helps.

15. Member
    Thanks a bunch for this post. Ordered me a smoke tube off of amazon and used it yesterday on my natural gas grill and smoked some chicken that came out great. I am not going to use it in my electric smoker because the smoke lasted constantly for about 3 hours or so and worked great.

I've got the A-Maz-N tube and tray, and use both in my electric smoker. Tube puts off more smoke as I think it was designed for grills. Never tried it in the Weber though. Prior to smoking, a good tip is to microwave your pellets for a couple minutes to help get rid of any moisture in them. Nuke for about a minute at a time, stirring in between.

I use the A-Maz-N tube in my Weber Summit all the time. Great addition. I've microwaved my pellets a couple of times, but usually keep a batch that I'm going to use in the house in a paper sack so they're ready when I am. I bought a Sondiko butane culinary torch off Amazon to light it. Light the pellets on the open end, lift the tube and roll it to mix, and light the end again. Smokes like crazy, and you can regulate how much, and how long it smokes by how full you fill the tube. I've found that about a half tube of pellets will smoke plenty for a 20-30 minute cook on the grill, and then I just extinguish what is left with water and set it on the warming rack to cool. Add new pellets, and repeat on the next cook.
    I've even started using the tube on my BGE when I'm doing low and slow ribs. No need to add chips to the charcoal. Fill the tube, and drop it on top of the charcoal near the center once the fire is started. And try the Texas Blend pellets at Ace hardware. Post Oak, Hickory, and Mesquite. Good combo.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    I use the A-Maz-N tube in my Weber Summit all the time. Great addition. I've microwaved my pellets a couple of times, but usually keep a batch that I'm going to use in the house in a paper sack so they're ready when I am. I bought a Sondiko butane culinary torch off Amazon to light it. Light the pellets on the open end, lift the tube and roll it to mix, and light the end again. Smokes like crazy, and you can regulate how much, and how long it smokes by how full you fill the tube. I've found that about a half tube of pellets will smoke plenty for a 20-30 minute cook on the grill, and then I just extinguish what is left with water and set it on the warming rack to cool. Add new pellets, and repeat on the next cook.
    I've even started using the tube on my BGE when I'm doing low and slow ribs. No need to add chips to the charcoal. Fill the tube, and drop it on top of the charcoal near the center once the fire is started. And try the Texas Blend pellets at Ace hardware. Post Oak, Hickory, and Mesquite. Good combo.
    Razor, thanks for your post. I think I need to try one of these tubes this spring before making a commitment too buying a smoker although the new Weber smoker looks pretty intriguing. I've been using wood chips from time to time with less than satisfactory results and perhaps it's a matter of me not using them correctly in my gas grill.