Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hit on Interstate

I was hit on the interstate this weekend. I was going 65 ish. I have no clue on his speed. He drove straight into me. It broke the motor off and moved the boat up on the trailer 10 inches or so. The winch stand moved up as far as it would move. Should I be concerned about damage to the hull of the boat I can not see. Pics to come.

4. Member
    I personally would want a whole new rig from HIS insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    I personally would want a whole new rig from HIS insurance company.
    I would, too. If they insist of repairing, I would demand that a technician of your choice examines every inch of the boat and trailer for cracks. You should also demand that certain sections of the boat that can not be examined be X-rayed for cracks.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I would, too. If they insist of repairing, I would demand that a technician of your choice examines every inch of the boat and trailer for cracks. You should also demand that certain sections of the boat that can not be examined be X-rayed for cracks.
    Absolutely!! Broken welds on stringers or other supports are another concern.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

7. Member
    definitely would want that boat replaced after being hit at highway speeds by a few thousand pound vehicle. impossible to know the issues that impact may have caused down in the structure of the boat in all that foam. Might be fine but may have issues you find out about when crossing a rough lake one day. I can't imagine there is no damage there after pushing that boat up the trailer and knocking the motor off.

8. Member
    Scrap metal. Pull your gear and have the other driver's insurance pony up. That is what it is there for. To move the boat 10" forward on the trailer from a hit while you were traveling 65, the other driver was obviously driving way above the speed limits. The police report should be enough to get the insurance company to cover the negligence on their driver's part and that person will likely have a difficult time finding insurance after that incident.

9. Banned
    I've been in your situation. I had a person rear-ended me at a red light going about 50 miles an hour. He just about tore the outboard off of the Jack Plate and moved the boat up a couple feet. My insurance company refuse to
    total the boat, so I told them that if that's the route they were going to go, I wanted a paper sign that if anything happens to me while driving the boat in the next couple years, and it is proven that it was because of structural damage because of the accident, they will be liable for any bodily injury. After that request, they had no problem totaling it. My insurance company had to handle it because the driver of the other car did not have insurance. I would demand the boat to be totaled!

10. Member
    I have dealt with this numerous times. Damage is pretty extensive. Have your dealer write up a quote for what they feel best.

11. Member
    I have always heard that tin boats if they take a big lick are not repairable. Not smart to reapair anyways.

12. Member
    BTW how does a wreck like that happen? What were they looking at?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Texting or talking on their phone most likely. Hope you get the new boat you deserve.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

14. Banned
    Looking at those pics, I see nothing to support a total. Demanding a total, based on assumptions and what if's, will not get you very far.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Looking at those pics, I see nothing to support a total. Demanding a total, based on assumptions and what if's, will not get you very far.
    Hard to imagine there isn't any structural damage if the boat moved forward 10" on impact. I agree the transom looks fine, but that's a big hit. I'd want it very thoroughly inspected if I were going to keep it.
    Last edited by Tim Kelly; 11-06-2019 at 11:30 AM.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post

You just have to know how to talk to insurance companies!

Sorry this happen to you. Jan. 7, this year I had a very similar thing happen. I was making a corner and everything was around the corner except my motor. This guy hit it going 50 mph and sent the boat off the trailer (still remained attached at the winch post and boat eye.) When the boat landed it sheared the motor off the jack plate. It was a Ranger 518 Intracoastal. They totaled it. Bad part was, Ranger no longer makes that model. I could have bought it back, but like PolarCraft195 said, unless somebody signs off that the transom okay, total it.
    IMG_1953.JPG
    Last edited by Mechanic Bob; 11-06-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

18. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Can any of you all that have been through this offer up good advice on what clauses, etc... we as boat owners should have in our insurance, or what to be aware of?

I have total replacement on mine, but I'm sure there are embedded nuances that could rear their head if ever in a similar situation....

Thx, BK
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

I have total replacement and a dollar value that includes all the options I have added, written in the policy and that is approximately $10K more than I paid for the original rig.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

20. Member
    I believe since this is connected to your car, it is not covered through your boat insurance but your auto insurance. Someone correct me if wrong?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast