Tubing Spraying Fuel Inside Cowl Merc 50 HP 2S

Serial # 1B514135

hose behind the starter & electrical components has a split in it & spraying out fuel when engine runs.

Looks easy enough to fix (my plan is to remove starter, if that's not enough room then move electrical).

Cannot figure out what these hoses are for. Did not see anything in service manual describing their purpose.

If you look in parts catalog "Cylinder Block and Crankcase" section it is part number 40 simply described as tubing.

What is the purpose of these hoses?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

2. Member
    ... did a little more research ... looks like they are for the bleed system?

Bleed system recirculates puddled/unburnt fuel, moving it to another area of the engine, where it can be used for lubrication (or burnt).

Still cannot find anything about this in the service manual
    90-852572R02. Can anyone refer me to the correct pages?

Thank You

3. Member
    Try “Cylinder Block and Crankcase” section.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Bleed tubing. Likely the one you noted runs from the top crank bearing to the bottom, correct?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor