When to fish Chick

Ive never been to Chick and have thought about coming down to fish this winter. When would be considered the best time to come fish. I was thinking somewhere around the end of the year or after the new year. I like the idea of possibly catching a giant but would also like to catch some numbers. I know the weather plays a big role but i have a week of vacation to use up and wouldnt mind spend a day or maybe two there. Any certain areas of the lake i should look at or any i should avoid? Thanks for any responses
    They aint got hands, set the hook

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Anytime between now and April. I plan on starting my monthly trips down there next month...

All kinds of places to stay at around the lake, just depends on what part of the lake you want to focus on. Keep an eye on the weather and current and you'll be ok.

Good luck.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Matt20xd
    Just know in the winter you can be 3 feet off the channel and in 6" of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt20xd View Post
    Just know in the winter you can be 3 feet off the channel and in 6" of water.

VERY true. Get a navigation chart at the very least and pay close attention to the buoys.

I was raised there and lived on the lake. It can be good or bad.

Winter on Chickamauga can be good for both numbers and size. A lot depends on how much current they are pulling through the reservoir. The lower end of the river (nuclear plant and down) is my suggestion in cold weather.

Don't be afraid to fish shallow. I've caught numerous big fish in 3-4 feet of water in the dead of winter. Crankbaits in the size of a 6A Bomber are a good choice. Chrome / shad / chartreuse or a combination of those colors are usually productive.

If you get bored or want a bit of a twist, put in at the River Park below Chickamauga Dam and fish downstream around the barge pilings and along the rip-rap. Current is the key down there but the smallies and spotted bass are numerous and there are some giants there. Grubs or hair jigs are the best baits. BE CAREFUL down there and pay attention to the current and buoys. Lots of rock piles up closer to the dam that can wreck your boat if you get careless. Downstream from the ramp is safe if you pay attention.

Some of the ramps have holes in them or sizeable drop offs during the low water period of winter. I'd strongly suggest you do a visual inspection of the ramp before you launch. The ramp at Harrison Bay State Park is wide but can be difficult to launch because it isn't steep enough to float the boat off the trailer. Grasshopper Creek ramp was good in the past but I haven't launched there in a long time. It also can be very shallow getting to the river from the creek. The ramp at the dam is usually in good repair.
    Last edited by Hair Jig; 11-07-2019 at 09:41 PM.