Thread: Deck lids

Deck lids

I am replacing carpet on my 2000 R83. I am having three new lids made as they were cracked. I cannot do carpet yet because I they are carpeting the new lids at the factory, and nobody I have spoke with knows how the carpet is going to get oriented. So, I’m pulling carpet off my lids now, first thing I did was pull the latches off. The foam core is “green”. Can I still use these lids? These lids are not cracked or warped.

Also, I want to upgrade my d-ring latches to a more modern style. Is Ranger still the best place to buy? I would think Amazon would have lid latches cheaper.

One more thing. The aluminum rivets holding the hinges to the lid, go into the lid body? Does anyone recommend going up a size on rivets?

Thank you.

2. Member
    Green color core is normal,I wouldn’t go up on rivet size. The lids have a SS strip inside to accept the rivets,usually not anything wrong with that.Dont know about the latches.

3. Member
    Good to know, thank you! I have read about guys gutting the lids and replacing the core with epoxy. Others have custom lids made out of aluminum. I made a lid from 1/4” aluminum but it’s heavy and meant to be temporary. Just rock on with my old lids?

4. Member
    On my livewell lids,I gutted them out and filled with fiberglass resin and cloth. They are heavier now but much stronger. I removed them and cut out the first layer of glass and the foam,leaving the layer under the carpet.

5. Member
    Just remembered too,my front center lid was cracked so I had an aluminum lid fabbed up. I don’t know the gauge but it was about 3/32” thick with one brace tacked on about mid way.It’s plenty solid for me at 170#. Paid $150 for it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Just remembered too,my front center lid was cracked so I had an aluminum lid fabbed up. I don’t know the gauge but it was about 3/32” thick with one brace tacked on about mid way.It’s plenty solid for me at 170#. Paid $150 for it.
    As I’m pulling carpet off the lids I’m noticing fine spider cracks near the latch portion, on almost all the lids. I like the idea of gutting the lids and using resin. Did you just use a simple kit? I would need to have a lot of resin to do all the lids, to build it up .500” to create the seal when closed. I have half a mind to cancel my order on my two livewell lids and try a repair. Phenolic or carbon fiber sheets would be awesome but pricy and phenolic weighs a ton. I wonder how a sheet of aluminum glued to the inside of the gutted lid would work? I also wonder if Ranger builds these lids “better” now.

7. Member
    I replaced two livewell lids and one center lid about three years ago . The replacements from Ranger seamed to be better/stronger than my originals and fit perfect with new carpet. I have had zero issues since and the holes on the new hinges even lined up. I thought about the rebuild on them or aluminum but for a few hundred bucks for replacement over 17 years it seemed like cheap maintenance in boat dollars and 30 minutes to install them was a way better use of time.

My $.02
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

8. Member
    I understand, I agree, I have gotten a lot of years out of them. I just like to try and make something better if I can. Good to know your replacements have held up.

9. Member
    Agree with mobob. I replaced my livewell lids with ones from Ranger and they appear to be "better built". They matched great. I thought about different materials before the purchase also, but I am glad that I went back to Ranger.

10. Member
    Thanks for the responses!

11. Member
    How much are those lids costing ya if you don't mind me asking?

12. Member
    I decided to order the other lids. I received the livewell lids the other day and they are nice! The lids are about .100” thicker than the old lids, and the foam core is much more dense than the original lids. Lids come with 24oz carpet of choice, new hinges attached, and new screws. With shipping I have about $1300 into mine, but I feel it’s worth it. I have way more carpet than I need now, but I’ll use it to do bunks.